MIDI Program Change on two units at a time

Hello everyone, I'm quite new to the MIDI thing.

Here's my question:
Say we have two Axe's in a band and we want the DAW to change programs/presets automatically on both units. How do we set the thing going?
I mean both technically (what hardware is needed?) and software-side (how do I set MIDI tracks to control two units at a time?).

The more detail the better. Appreciate your help =)

Russ

DAW --> (MIDI or USB) --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI IN --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI OUT --> Axe-Fx 2 MIDI IN.

Or:

DAW >> MIDI Splitter --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI IN
.................................... --> Axe-Fx 2 MIDI IN

DAW --> (MIDI or USB) --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI IN --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI OUT --> Axe-Fx 2 MIDI IN.

Or:

DAW >> MIDI Splitter --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI IN
.................................... --> Axe-Fx 2 MIDI IN

Thanx, wow that's very quick. Does that allow to: 1. send different program changes to different units (say, bar 2, change to preset #1 on the first Axe, bar 2, change to preset #20 on the second Axe), 2. change preset on one Axe FX while leaving the other untouched?

Thanx, wow that's very quick. Does that allow to: 1. send different program changes to different units (say, bar 2, change to preset #1 on the first Axe, bar 2, change to preset #20 on the second Axe), 2. change preset on one Axe FX while leaving the other untouched?
It will as long as each Axe-FX is set to it's own MIDI channel and the program change messages are sent to their respective channel(s).

Last edited:
MIDI is super powerful. You can control up to 16 separate devices with one port. My MIDI control list looks like this:

1 - X32 Scenes
2 - X32 Snippet
3 - X32 Cue
4 - X32 Cue
5 - X32 Cue
6 - X32 Cue
7 - Fractal Ultra
8 - Fractal XL
9 - VoiceLive VL2
10 - BigSky
11 - GR55
12 - Rumour
13 -
14 -
15 - DMXIS Banks
16 - DMXIS Presets

MIDI is super powerful. You can control up to 16 separate devices with one port. My MIDI control list looks like this:

1 - X32 Scenes
2 - X32 Snippet
3 - X32 Cue
4 - X32 Cue
5 - X32 Cue
6 - X32 Cue
7 - Fractal Ultra
8 - Fractal XL
9 - VoiceLive VL2
10 - BigSky
11 - GR55
12 - Rumour
13 -
14 -
15 - DMXIS Banks
16 - DMXIS Presets

That's a hell of a setup, impressive!

Hi again everyone.

So I set two Axe FX's as follows:
DAW --> (MIDI or USB) --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI IN --> Axe-Fx 1 MIDI OUT --> Axe-Fx 2 MIDI IN

I have two separate tracks for each unit, 1st track is set to channel one, 2nd track to channel two and the problem is that the program change event in track 1 on the 1st unit causes to change the program on the 2nd unit as well, and vice versa.

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 22.51.21.png Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 22.51.35.png

Any way to control them separately, am I losing something?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure that the AxeFXII is only listening to the appropriate port in the I/O section. I believe that the default is all channels.

Guys, I'm new to the Axe too and I'm facing some problems to do some midi mapping. I know how to address one pc message to a single preset (PC 15 calling preset 500, for example). The problem is I don't use one single preset in a gig! How can I map more presets?

Guys, I'm new to the Axe too and I'm facing some problems to do some midi mapping. I know how to address one pc message to a single preset (PC 15 calling preset 500, for example). The problem is I don't use one single preset in a gig! How can I map more presets?

Adjust the "Map From" number and select the desired "Map To" preset & scene number. When you change the displayed "Map From" number you're not undoing whatever setting you already made for other "Map From" numbers.

Adjust the "Map From" number and select the desired "Map To" preset & scene number. When you change the displayed "Map From" number you're not undoing whatever setting you already made for other "Map From" numbers.

You got it! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom