MIDI Problems FX8 > Mesa boogie TC 50

frb

Hi all together,

I have just received my brand new Mesa boogie Tripple Crown 50 and wanted to use my FX8 to control my TC 50 Channels ans Solo Function, but I failed to get it work. I have a Preset with 8 Scenes with different Effect combinations per scene and I want to give any single Scene a fix Chanel and Solo function of my TC 50, but it didn't works, Di I have to make anycanhges on my MIDI Settings of the FX8?

Thanks, Yours Frank

Read through the MESA JP-2C & FX8 threads for assistance. Many of us have given our findings/tips. The TC-50 should be near identical in setup & programming. It's easy once you understand the process. Chime in again if you get in a jam. Good luck!

Hi all together,

I have just received my brand new Mesa boogie Tripple Crown 50 and wanted to use my FX8 to control my TC 50 Channels ans Solo Function, but I failed to get it work. I have a Preset with 8 Scenes with different Effect combinations per scene and I want to give any single Scene a fix Chanel and Solo function of my TC 50, but it didn't works, Di I have to make anycanhges on my MIDI Settings of the FX8?

Thanks, Yours Frank

I'm using FX8 with TC 50 Head also, so feel free to message me any questions if you're still having issues with this. As Roxy has already stated, it is really easy to set up once you understand the main concepts.

I had a few issues today setting up my new TC-50 & the FX8 because I was trying to do it w/ only CC midi changes. You need to do PC changes to get all the needed amp toggles switched at the same time.

The best way to make the needed amp changes.....is to 1st set your PC channel on the FX8 1st......

If you choose PC #1 for example (& you want PC #1 to be amp channel #1 w/ the FX loop on) & let's say you see on your Mesa that it went to channel #2 w/ FX loop set to OFF....& you really want PC #1 to be amp channel #1 w/ the FX loop set to ON.

You now manually switch the toggles on the amp to change everything you need/want.....Switch the amp on the front manually to channel #1, go to the back & flip the FX toggle on/off manually & now hit the "Store" toggle on the far left by the midi in & out jacks. The light will blink when it's stored.

Now on any of your presets when you want a specific scene to be on the clean channel, you just select PC #1.....

Now do this for PC #2 & so on.....Add reverb, solo boost......& then "Store" it.

It's actually SO easy to do that it confused me too! lol

Good luck!!!!

X

Last edited:
@X-Mann - not to derail but how's the TC-50 treating you vs the Runt 50?
Wow, both amps are truly fantastic & cover some of the same ground tone wise. Having a Crystal clean channel & distortion channel that moves you is more then fantastic.

The Runt 50 is over-all just perfect for me....& the only negatives I can find are the lack of a Master Volume Knob.

The Mesa Boogie TC-50 goes a step farther then the Runt 5 with all of the little toggles & a 3d channel. The gain on channel #3 is a very modern one w/ tons of gain on tap.

The only downside is the Cab Clone DI.....It sounds kind of weak & muddy at 1st. I was able to fix it by some EQ at our digital mixer. That alone makes the TC-50 perfect for me & gives it a slight edge.....

It's only day- 2 for me here so far. lol

BOTH of these amps are fantastic!!!

X

I'm using CC numbers to switch channels on my TC-50 and turn on the solo boost, page 23 of the manual. You can also control the FX Loop and Reverb like the footswitch that comes with the amp. Plan on setting up some presets on the amp this weekend. I'm using scenes to send the CC numbers. Also, love the amp.

I'm using CC numbers to switch channels on my TC-50 and turn on the solo boost, page 23 of the manual. You can also control the FX Loop and Reverb like the footswitch that comes with the amp. Plan on setting up some presets on the amp this weekend. I'm using scenes to send the CC numbers. Also, love the amp.
I had no problem changing channels using CC at all, but you can only send one per scene & you need another one to keep the FX loop on.....& even w/ the "Midi" blocks I couldn't seem to accomplish this. You'd also need one for reverb & boost w/ CC's & you don't have enough.

Maybe you can & if so please tell us/me how. I'm not a smart Mann!

On the other hand the PC changes do it all at once & it's easy to save & train the TC50 to do so......

Good luck.....& there are probably many ways to skin this cat.

X

I had no problem changing channels using CC at all, but you can only send one per scene & you need another one to keep the FX loop on.....& even w/ the "Midi" blocks I couldn't seem to accomplish this. You'd also need one for reverb & boost w/ CC's & you don't have enough.

Maybe you can & if so please tell us/me how. I'm not a smart Mann!

On the other hand the PC changes do it all at once & it's easy to save & train the TC50 to do so......

Good luck.....& there are probably many ways to skin this cat.

X

Must admit I also found it easier to just use PC changes with scenes.

So for example, I save the following 'set' of combinations for each channel directly on the TC-50 itself via the amps own presets:

- channel
- channel + reverb
- channel + solo
- channel + reverb + solo

(e.g. 12 stored presets)

This enables me to recall any one of the amp presets on a scene-by-scene basis, and took about 5 mins to set up.

Hi all,
Thanks for Your good Tips, I now made it, especially after reading the posts concerning The fx8 --> Mark V JP Tips. I only use the PC function and the programming function of the TC 50. My fault was trying to use the footswitch function instaed of using the config functions. Having done it ones, it was mor than easy to control every MIDI controllable function of the TC 50 by the fx8 in only a few minutes. Thanks again. From now on a can strongly remind this combination by the sound options and MIDI functionality respectively!

Thanks again, Frank

Back
Top Bottom