Midi problem with DIY controller.

manu68

Inspired
Hi,

I have built my own controller for the axe FX, and I would have some more information on a small problem I encounter.

Basically I send PC/CC for changing preset and scene.
Until there, no problem.

BUT, when I send CC for switching on/off FX (or looper control), my controller doesn't react 100% properly.
I explain.
I need to press TWICE a switch to have the switching of FX working properly. Then, it works nice.
(I hope you will understand what I explain)

Then, when the switching is working properly (layout window Axe FX II), it happens nothing within Axe Edit.
BUT, if I close Axe Edit and re-open it, the changes are here.

Any idea on that ?
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you need to program the controller initial state to match the preset. Without doing this you might send a 127 value for an effect that's already engaged, for example.

It's normal that Axe-Edit won't automatically reflect changes made by a MIDI controller. One way to keep it updated is to assign a bypass modifier to any block in the preset. A disconnected low-CPU block can be added for this purpose if needed.

Thanks for answering.
I will try the tip with the bypass modifier.

For the rest, it seems that what i initially took for a mistake is maybe just some kind of normal behaviour due to the limitations of my controller.
I suppose that i can not do a lot to correct it.
As each switch has 4 different functions, when i enter a new mode for the first time after powering the controller, every switch is reseted.
For the FX mode, all switches are reseted with all leds OFF. Then, each pressure on a switch light up led successivement on/off.
Of course, until the controller is powered off, i can change from mode to mode and the led status will stay remembered.

The 4 modes are:
Presets
Scenes
FX
Looper

Thanks.
I will read that carefully, but I doubt I could implement such things.
My platform works really great for easy things, but is limited.
I have used a midi cpu unit. it is easy to use and reliable, but the coding possibilities are limited in comparison to platform as arduino for example

http://www.midicpu.com/

I have checked again , and I indeed have two possibilities:
If my FX are switched "OFF" on a preset, pressing a switch after entering the FX-mode activates immediately the FX and light up the led.
If my FX switched "ON" on a preset, I need to press twice a switch. First press do nothing except lighting on the led (because the FX was already "ON" into the preset), and the second press switch the FX "OFF" and the corresponding led.

As you said, i need to press some switch first to catch up the Axe FX block states.
Nothing wron then with my controller !

It was just curiosity. I mainly use FX switching during tweaking.
When I play along backtracks at home, I use mainly Scenes.

Cool, i'm glad it helped, I went through exactly the same with my arduino based controller.
In the end I was extremely lucky and was offered an MFC101 at an offer I couldn't refuse.

It's normal that Axe-Edit won't automatically reflect changes made by a MIDI controller. One way to keep it updated is to assign a bypass modifier to any block in the preset. A disconnected low-CPU block can be added for this purpose if needed.

could you explain a little more ?
I don't use controllers/modifier, and I am a little lost.

If I understand , I should select an FX bloc, put is somewhere linked to anything on the grid, clic on a parameter with the controller icon.
Then a window should open with modifier , right ?? (window with a curve on it)
Then I should set bypass somewhere into this window , and it should work :D (Axe edit should stay synchronized when I will switch on/off FX with my footcontroler ??

Back
Top Bottom