Midi Phantom Power

slinky005

Power User
Just bought a Morningstar MC6.
I'm looking at my powering options.
It can accept midi phantom power.
Looking at the back of the Axe, do I have to use a screwdriver to turn it on?
Is it on by default?
It's not obvious.

Since the wiki doesn't mention "turning on" the phantom power, does this mean I need a special non standard midi cable?
What is that thing-a-ma-jig with the screwdriver slot?
Sorry, this is all new to me.

You need to make sure which pins the MC-6 uses for phantom power. That is not universal... The Axe Fx manual will tell you which ones it uses.

Speaking of phantom power, I always wonder the following : the manual says 1A max. Does it mean 1A max DRAINED by the midi device or 1A power source plugged on the Axe ? What I mean is I have a midi controller that require 0.5A but let's say I plug a power capable of delivering 1.5A on the Axe. Is it okey on that case or I'm risking to damage the Axe ?

Last edited:
Not OK - for complete safety do not exceed 1A. If your MIDI controller comes with a power supply and it's under 1A and it's plug is correct size for the socket in the back of the AxeFX then use it. If your controller uses a draw of over 1A then plug the power supply directly into the controller.

If you exceed 1A and burn out the I/O phantom power components inside the AxeFX - it won't affect anything else except the phantom power circuit meaning you can still power the controller by plugging the power supply directly into it and can use a std 5 pin MIDI cable. But it is a return to FAS job to fix the circuit you burned out.

USB works too but all you should need is a 7-pin MIDI cable (not the normal 5-pin) from the AxeFX to the MC6 (assuming they use the same pins...which they probably do).

Side note: I just got an MC6 as well. Tested with my TC50 last night and it works like a charm. It'll be controlling the FX8 and 2 amps. FX8 doesn't provide phantom power. :(

I'm controlling my MC6 with USB power. Great little box! I would probably use phantom MIDI power, but I've got an RAC12 in between the MC5 and the Axe, so that screws up the direct MIDI connection to the MC6 for power. It would be nice to just plug in one MIDI Y-cable and be done with it (also, there are no Y-cables I can find that are dual 5-pin/7-pin).

I have the MC6 now and considering using phantom power. I know USB can power it as well. So to be clear , if I'm intending to use a 7 pin midi cable from the Axe FX II to the MC6 do i need a power adapter in the back of the Axe FX? I believe 2.5mm and no more than 1A . I don't think my Axe fx came with an ac adapter and if it did I have no idea where it is. I want to make sure before going out to an electronics store that I get the right one. I know that on both the Axe Fx and the MC6 the power is delivered via pins 6 and 7.

Speaking of phantom power, I always wonder the following : the manual says 1A max. Does it mean 1A max DRAINED by the midi device or 1A power source plugged on the Axe ? What I mean is I have a midi controller that require 0.5A but let's say I plug a power capable of delivering 1.5A on the Axe. Is it okey on that case or I'm risking to damage the Axe ?
That means 1 Amp actually flowing through the phantom power circuit. If your gear draws half an amp, you'll be okay—provided nothing goes wrong. But if the power pin gets shorted to something else, and your power supply is able to deliver more than 1 amp, it will—and all bets are off.

yeah I was thinking when i used to have the MFC101 it came with one. The Morningstar doesn't come with any adapter but it's a pretty standard power supply that will work.

That means 1 Amp actually flowing through the phantom power circuit. If your gear draws half an amp, you'll be okay—provided nothing goes wrong. But if the power pin gets shorted to something else, and your power supply is able to deliver more than 1 amp, it will—and all bets are off.

Thanks, that confirm what I thought.

okay now I'm wondering how many people are actually using the phantom power adapter jack on the back of the Axe Fx. From what I am reading it only takes a 2.5mm barrel 9VAC. You'd think this would be easy to find (unless one came with whatever 3rd party midi controller) I've been looking at local stores and cannot find a 2.5mm AC adapter. Most are DC.

edit: seems ebay will be easiest way to track this down

Last edited:
All wall adapters are AC -> DC converters. That's why they're called adapters. Just make sure the barrel size and the amp rating match.
That is not true... They are called power supplies. They step down the voltage and current from the level at the outlet. Some are AC and some are DC... And typically the barrel size is different. Also, most of the AC types I have seen have a red center versus black typically on DC.

That is not true... They are called power supplies. They step down the voltage and current from the level at the outlet. Some are AC and some are DC... And typically the barrel size is different. Also, most of the AC types I have seen have a red center versus black typically on DC.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom