MIDI over USB

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
The manual states this:

The FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses “COMM over USB” channels for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program

Any chance it will become a MIDI class-compliant device in the future?

I don’t know about future plans for this. But I can say that I did a bunch of MIDI testing using a USB to 5-pin MIDi cable that I’ve had for years (I think it’s an EMU). I looked on Amazon and there’s a bunch of those type of cables for around 15 bucks. I know an extra cable is not as convenient but it should be able to get your scenario working.

I don’t know about future plans for this. But I can say that I did a bunch of MIDI testing using a USB to 5-pin MIDi cable that I’ve had for years (I think it’s an EMU). I looked on Amazon and there’s a bunch of those type of cables for around 15 bucks. I know an extra cable is not as convenient but it should be able to get your scenario working.
Use caution with cheap MIDI-to-USB cables. They can be notoriously crappy.

Use caution with cheap MIDI-to-USB cables. They can be notoriously crappy.
Yes, I have run into this too.

I tried using one of those cheap cables with a digital pedal from a well known manufacturer (not to be named here) and it didn't work, but a more expensive, name brand cable worked perfectly.

I think that the cheap USB-TO-MIDI cables have a chip that doesn't fully implement the MIDI standard, so the cables will work for some tasks but cannot be relied upon in every situation.

Yes, I have run into this too.

I tried using one of those cheap cables with a digital pedal from a well known manufacturer (not to be named here) and it didn't work, but a more expensive, name brand cable worked perfectly.

I think that the cheap USB-TO-MIDI cables have a chip that doesn't fully implement the MIDI standard, so the cables will work for some tasks but cannot be relied upon in every situation.

Can you tell us which one worked?

Can you tell us which one worked?
I need to make a correction to my previous post. Apparently, the problem with the cheap cables has more to do with the drivers than with the chip. Here's an excerpt from the unnamed manufacturer's web site:

"There are many types of MIDI interfaces out there, but we recommend a robust MIDI interface that uses dedicated drivers to operate reliably with your computer's specific operating system. We do not recommend getting a plug-and-play MIDI interface as we have seen many of those have trouble with handling the data transferred between the pedal and your computer. Two MIDI interfaces that we recommend are the Roland UM-ONE and the Yamaha UX-16."

So do din5 midi ports work with Fm3Edit?

To clarify, the cheap, unreliable cables that I have been referring to look like the photo below and are mostly sold out of China.

I have no personal experience with the EMU cable and have no reason to believe that there is anything wrong with them.

s-l400.png

Don't cheap out in a USB midi interface, stick to the well-known name brands such as Sweetwater carries - Roland, iConnectivity, M-Audio, etc. I use a Roland UM-one and iConnectivity Mio with my keyboard rig and they work flawlessly.

Been using M-Audio's UNO or [green] Midisport 2x2 for years - from Ultra days to be exact.
NEVER had an issue...
The msg is clear.. don't cheap out on the interfaces!

Edirol UM-3EX. It's never failed me since I bought it (used) to use with my Ultra

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom