Midi over USB?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Is there any midi foot controller that can work plugged in the USB of the AXE III? If not, is there any adapter /device that would allow this?

So computer is the only option then. Maybe theres some small arduino box that could do this.

By the time you’d get all the hardware, figure out how to program it etc, I think it would make more sense to just go with one of the countless midi controllers on the market, or the FAS specific controller

It’s not impossible, but it’s not easy. If it wasn’t, there would be options in the market already.

I suppose you could use a USB foot controller to connect to a laptop, then connect the laptop to the Axe-Fx. One example of this would be the Keith McMillan softstep controllers.

Im thinking about ways to have more midi ports, because I want to plug my Mi.1. bluetooth dongle in the midi In/Out and use iPad to control AXE III. I used this setup with my AX8 and it worked great. I had my setlist with PC messages for each song on ipad and if i needed footswitches AX8 had these.
Maybe i should look into midi splitters/mergers. But I'm a bit confused what exactly I need. If I want to have 2 sets of midi IN/OUT, what box do I need?

I suppose you could use a USB foot controller to connect to a laptop, then connect the laptop to the Axe-Fx. One example of this would be the Keith McMillan softstep controllers.

I have a Softstep 2 from my old rig, it’s very light and durable, but I previously found it hard to program. I didn’t have my laptop then, but have mine connected to the Axe all the time for max editing flexibility on the fly.

Anybody doing what Matt suggested with a laptop and the Softstep?

Im thinking about ways to have more midi ports, because I want to plug my Mi.1. bluetooth dongle in the midi In/Out and use iPad to control AXE III. I used this setup with my AX8 and it worked great. I had my setlist with PC messages for each song on ipad and if i needed footswitches AX8 had these.
Maybe i should look into midi splitters/mergers. But I'm a bit confused what exactly I need. If I want to have 2 sets of midi IN/OUT, what box do I need?
You need one of my controllers. Soon to be released dual physical network support.

Attachments

• 47523463-0D22-4C89-A330-46789AC70F5F.jpeg
    47523463-0D22-4C89-A330-46789AC70F5F.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 69
So computer is the only option then. Maybe theres some small arduino box that could do this.
I think there are a few options indeed.
https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox
http://primovasound.com/midx_20.html

I believe I also saw a project based on arduino or raspberry some time ago, I don't recall at the moment. If I find it I'll post the link.
Also chech vguitarforum, it's full of info about this kind of stuff.

EDIT: maybe this one would work too for your purpose: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-midi

Last edited:

I'm trying to do this now with either a MeloAudio Footswich and my Maschine mk3. The issue I'm having is that the AX8 can't see the USB Midi info unless I'm running into logic and adding a midi channel with the output set to the AX8. Is there a way so that the midi data can be automatically ported from the usb foot switch to the AX8, perhaps though the Audio Midi set up. I'm on a Mac running 10.14.3 if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Edit, I know this is the AXE III forum but I think the principle is the same.

Last edited:
The MIDX-20 from Primova Sound that @DLC86 mentioned is a great little box; I have a couple and they're very handy. They are programmable so you can customize your MIDI routing between the ports, and keeps you from having to include a full-blown computer into your rig. Depending on how you set things up, you may not need one though.

@pauliusmm -- you mentioned wanting to use a mi.1 Bluetooth interface with the Axe-FX III. Since that's Bluetooth LE to MIDI ports, you shouldn't need USB at all; you just need more MIDI ports, which you can get with MIDI splitters/mergers. MIDI Solutions is the place to check out for those. If you need to double up on both ports, two of their Mergers will do the trick -- they work as both a merger (2 into 1) and as a splitter (1 into 2) for both your MIDI input and output. If you need even more MIDI, they also have the Quadra Merge and Quadra Thru with 4 ports to play with.

Another Bluetooth LE option if you're not married to the mi.1, or you want to add USB for some other reason, is the puc+ from Zivix. It can do MIDI via a MIDI cable or USB, and supports bidirectional MIDI when using USB. I use one of these in my rig for doing page turns on my iPad (in forScore) from my foot controller; works great. If you want to use it via USB though, you will need a box like the MIDX-20 to connect everything up. (puc+ to MIDX-20 USB port; Axe-FX III to MIDI in/out; additional USB port available for more MIDI connectivity)

Having said all that, if you're looking to get more advanced with MIDI and want a nice foot controller to drive it all, I'd recommend checking out the Mastermind options from RJM Music. The Mastermind GT is an absolute beast; it's the brains of my rig, and I've used it to run entire shows from my feet (several vocal processors and Axe-FX units) while playing guitar at the same time. Even the Mastermind LT, their least expensive model, has the same levels of programmability for controlling a multitude of devices -- and all have native support for the Axe-FX III. Not necessary if you're just using the iPad to select patches, etc, but very nice if you're looking to do more (and with your feet).

Is there any way to do this with software instead of hardware? All my devices are usb and connected to the computer already.
Depends what you wanna do. The sky seems to be the limit with the III - class compliant USB audio/midi, add a laptop or a tablet, a wireless midi transmitter to your controller and you’re away.

Back
Top Bottom