Wish MIDI Note messages

Robert

I would love to be able to send MIDI note on (and off) messages via a FC6 / FC12. Momentary & toggle functionality (with the release / toggle of the switch sending an "off" message) would be best so that we trigger samples and notes from an external synth / sampler.

Copied from the FM3 Wish List for extra visibility...
There are a lot of threads asking for sending Midi CC and Midi notes, and also for increasing the number of CS.
Some interesting ones:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/send-midi-messages-from-fc12-to-ableton.159398/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wish-send-midi-function.148284/page-2
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/increase-number-of-control-switches.150824/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wish-more-control-switches.147507/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/more-cs.148169/

Don't kill me, I will do another one :oops:

I am using 5 of the 6 CS for sending midi CCs to the computer. But now I realize how powerful are CS as controllers, so I would like to use them for that.

It seems that increase number of CS is not easy because they demand a lot of CPU.

So I propose a function under the category "Utility", with the following sub-items:
Function: Send Midi
Type: CC / PC / Note
Mode: Momentary/Toggle
Channel: 1 to 16 and omni
Value: 0 to 127 / A0 to G7 (if the mode is Toggle this item would be "Value ON" and it would be another one called "Value OFF")

Midi CC.png

+1 (bump, keeping this wish alive)

Off-topic and I've mentioned this before in another thread, but in addition to the "Note On/Off" type, it would be amazing to have the ability to add a "controller" to the value parameter.

Both of these additions would bust open a world of creative possibilities.

Bumping this request as I now find that I could trigger my DMX controller to do chase/scene changes for the lighting if this was implemented.

+1

This would be super handy. I have my samples triggered from a particular note on my Keyboard. Right now, I have to manually use my finger to tap a pad to trigger the sample, which is super inconvenient while also trying to play guitar and sing. I'd love to see this implemented.

This would be great for me too

I have sort of a niche case, I'm using using loop community prime to run click, cues and the occasional pad track. I have successfully sent audio to outputs 2 and 3, and even have a volume block inserted on the USB input to control the track level with an expression pedal.

I'd love to control the app using the midi functionality of the Control Switches. I've figured out how to send PC and CC messages, but the app is stupid and only allows you to map midi notes to the various functions. I'd love the ability to send a note as well, like C0 velocity 127. One day...

Workaround: you can use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor to convert CCs to Note On/Note Off.
I just had the realization today that this can't be done over USB...which is a MASSIVE BUMMER. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the FM9/or AXEFX III can send midi over USB, only receive.

I just had the realization today that this can't be done over USB...which is a MASSIVE BUMMER. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the FM9/or AXEFX III can send midi over USB, only receive.
Control Switches transmit MIDI only to the 5-pin port.

Adding note on and note off would require expanding the options for the most significant part of the midi message.

We already have 1011 for CC and 1100 for PC so it would require 1001 for Note on and 1000 for Note off to be implemented in the firmware.

Is this non-trivial or simple? Only FractalAudio can say for sure but it would open a world of possibilities and not require outboard equipment.

+1
I don't want to use other external gear or a MIDI Solutions Event Processor.
Can it be so difficult to add this feature?
I don't get it

+1
I don't want to use other external gear or a MIDI Solutions Event Processor.
Can it be so difficult to add this feature?
I don't get it

In theory, adding Note On/Off would fit right in within the current CS-MIDI user interface and underlying data structures. There is a subtle difference though. PC and CC are the same message for on or off - only the value varies. Note On/Off are separate messages with presumably the same value.

Personally, I wish that there was a MIDI block that allows you to send one or more CC/PC/Note messages that are controlled by modifiers. With that, I could have a Note On/Off message that gets it's note value from the Sequencer. As an example use case, my band wants to play Rio by Duran Duran which has a sequencer playing an arpeggio the whole time. It could similarly be assigned to a CS switch.

Also, no matter how you go about this, remember to configure a footswitch that will send CC #123 - "all notes off".

Reactions: Rex
Typically, receivers treat Note On with velocity of 0 as Note Off (so Note On can be treated by the sender similar to CC on/off).

+1 from me! I use an Axe Fx III with a mastermind gt because I have to trigger samples live. If note messages were added to the midi block I could buy an fm9 and use it for fly dates which would be amazing!
There would have to be a way to attach modifiers indeed so one could set up a footswitch to send the midi command.

+1 from me! I use an Axe Fx III with a mastermind gt because I have to trigger samples live. If note messages were added to the midi block I could buy an fm9 and use it for fly dates which would be amazing!
There would have to be a way to attach modifiers indeed so one could set up a footswitch to send the midi command.
Sorry, found out it's already possible to send midi commands on a footswitch using cs midi

Back
Top Bottom