MIDI mystery - Output 1 Vol Inc and Dec

Lionfeather

Inspired
I was being experimental and was sending midi messages to adjust the output 1 volume.

Setup - MIDI/Remote - Enter - Page right 6 times to Other - Scroll down to Output 1 Volume Increment and Output 1 Voulume Decrement

I assigned Increment to #91 and Decrement to #90

Using Bandhelper I created presets to send the above messages.

They did work, I could hear a gradual change, I could see a change in the output meters both on the unit and in Axe Edit. However, I never could find or see any numerical changes anywhere.

So my mystery question is, How can I be certain after playing around with the changes that things are back where they should be? In Utilities under the ADC Levels there are no changes shown. No visual representation of any value changes in Axe Edit that I can find ( other than the meters).

Thoughts?

It gets changed and saved in the preset. Other edits made in the preset get saved with it, so be careful with these functions when tweaking presets.

666.. I think I see what you're saying. It's like the preset gets saved just from the action of changing the increment or decrement without actually saving the preset yourself? Yes caution is in order.

666.. I think I see what you're saying. It's like the preset gets saved just from the action of changing the increment or decrement without actually saving the preset yourself? Yes caution is in order.
that's exactly what happens. you change the level and it saves so you don't have to separately turn around and save it during the gig. it's a convenience control to change and save the level in one step.

I’m patiently waiting this function to be accessible with fc6 and fc12...

Very useful on gigs...

I have been trying to find a way to assign IA switches on my MFC to increase/decrease volume for a long time, first on the ax-fx2 and now the 3. This does it, but the problem is, as you guys have figured, that the change gets stored in the scene.

Is there another way to control output volume with IA switches that is temporary, so that when you change the preset the volume adjustment is erased? For example, is it possible to have the IA switches assigned to control a parameter in a block, so that for example one can increase/decrease the volume in a volume pedal block or output level for an amp?

I have been trying to find a way to assign IA switches on my MFC to increase/decrease volume for a long time, first on the ax-fx2 and now the 3. This does it, but the problem is, as you guys have figured, that the change gets stored in the scene.

Is there another way to control output volume with IA switches that is temporary, so that when you change the preset the volume adjustment is erased? For example, is it possible to have the IA switches assigned to control a parameter in a block, so that for example one can increase/decrease the volume in a volume pedal block or output level for an amp?
The reason it gets stored automatically is so it’s the correct volume the next time you are on that scene. It’s designed for use while playing live, when you don’t have time to turn around and save.

How is the auto save a problem for your situation?

The reason it gets stored automatically is so it’s the correct volume the next time you are on that scene. It’s designed for use while playing live, when you don’t have time to turn around and save.

How is the auto save a problem for your situation?

There are times on stage where I want to increase or decrease the volume temporarily during a busy or quiet song. It's usually specific to the song or situation. Usually then I will want to use the same preset/ scene later with the regular volume restored.

There are times on stage where I want to increase or decrease the volume temporarily during a busy or quiet song. It's usually specific to the song or situation. Usually then I will want to use the same preset/ scene later with the regular volume restored.
That’s when you’d use a volume pedal or a block set to change the volume.

The feature being discussed here is for a specific situation and not what you just described.

I was exploring this feature for a similar reason, and have since moved on. Really nice to know how it works and for what reason it works the way it works, and it may be useful for me down the line.

I have placed in all of my live presets a volume block second to last, right before the out block. I have it set to a 3db boost and assigned to a footswitch button. I have it there as sort of safety in case I need a bit more for whatever reason, say a sit in drummer that bangs harder than normal etc. So far I've rarely need to use it, but it's always there. Just an idea for you.

I was exploring this feature for a similar reason, and have since moved on. Really nice to know how it works and for what reason it works the way it works, and it may be useful for me down the line.

I have placed in all of my live presets a volume block second to last, right before the out block. I have it set to a 3db boost and assigned to a footswitch button. I have it there as sort of safety in case I need a bit more for whatever reason, say a sit in drummer that bangs harder than normal etc. So far I've rarely need to use it, but it's always there. Just an idea for you.

Yea, I used to use this trick as a global boost on my Axe2 but I never assigned a button for -3. It's not a bad idea.

That is exactly how to deal with the situation, just like I mentioned earlier.

Or you know, just turn up the level knob on the Axe itself.

In case you can solder...
I have built a switch with two poties, that switches between two variable volumes.
The trick is simple: one potie sets the lower volume, the other sets the higher volume, the switch switches from one poti to the other.
Booth pots have a big metal kmob on top that you can turn by foot (like the ews subtle volume control).
The thing is assigned to the volume parameter in a block at the end of the signal chain.
So I can change the basic volume and the boost volume on the fly, switch between booth by foot, set upper and lower volume by foot and all it uses is one pedal input and one modifier.
I have it for some years now and to me it's the perfect solution to have always the right volume at hand. Unfortunatly I don't know any industrial product like that ready to buy. But in case you like building and soldering little stomps...

Back
Top Bottom