Midi Mate Phantom Power Question

Just got a midi mate and currently ordering 7 pin midi cable for phantom power!

The only thing im unclear about is:

Do I need 2 7-pin midi cables? Or one for the power as the (or vice-versa) and then just use a normal 5 pin to go back to the axe fx?

Just want to clear up because I am from Australia and as far as I can tell have to import 7 pin cables. Ordering one would be alot cheaper :p

One 7 pin midi cable can do Phantom power and two-way communication also, so you need just one. Just plug this cable to the Midi Out of Midimate to Midi In of Axe FX.

Even with the 7 pin cable you will still need to use the midi mate ac adapter plugged into the back of the axe-fx though as the axe-fx doesnt provide power to the 6 & 7 pins.

If you are handy with a soldering iron I'd recommend ordering the raw cable & ends and making them yourself, or ordering a custom cable of similar construction. The Rocktron 7pin cable is prone to breakage without too much coaxing.

I think my Rocktron cable failed after I shared some harsh language with it... ;)

Mash

If the MIDI in and out are taken by the audio interface, would the pass though midi on the back of the Axe work? Or am I looking into a midi merge product?

If the MIDI in and out are taken by the audio interface, would the pass though midi on the back of the Axe work? Or am I looking into a midi merge product?

No, the MidiMate output needs to reach the Axe-FX MIDI in, so the thru (which outputs a copy of the data received at the in port) won't help for that. You'd either need A. a merger or B. multiple interface MIDI ins to accomplish the same thing w/ software.

Back
Top Bottom