MIDI Keyboard thru Axe-FX?

APE

Inspired
I have a MIDI controller Studiologic SL-990 connected to my Axe-FX II connected to a MacBook Pro.

SL-990 MIDI Kbd --> Axe-FX II --> MBP.

In Axe-FX II, I/O > MIDI tab, I have MIDI THRU set to ON.

When I play keys on the keyboard, I see the green light for MIDI IN on AXE-Fx II light up. But I don't see data being sent through to the computer. What else do I need to do? I am using a sample program "Bosendorfer 290" on the Mac. Is there a simpler way to test MIDI input on the Mac?

I tried MIDIMonitor[1] and when I play a key on the MIDI controller, I see MIDI into the AXE-Fx, so I know it is getting data. But there is no MIDI input to MIDIMonitor. Besides setting MIDI thru on Axe-FX, I'm not sure what else I need to do on the Axe-FX.

s n o i z e : MIDI Monitor

There's no note midi data that the axe sees that I know of, just program change data, cc data etc.

Axe-FX II sees MIDI data and AISB, the LED on the AF2 lights up.

USB ADAPTER MODE is ON. That means that:
Inbound MIDI data at the MIDI IN or MFC ports is processed by the Axe-Fx II and also forwarded to the AXE-FX II MIDI OUT port of a connected computer.
Use this so your host sequencer/DAW can record the MIDI data generated by an expression pedal connected to the MFC-101.
Use this to connect a MIDI keyboard or other device to the MIDI IN port of the Axe-Fx II and play plugins or record performances in your host sequencer/DAW.
That does not state that MIDI data is sent over the USB connection, just that it goes to the MIDI out of a connected computer. I think that means that if my computer has a MIDI out, and I have MIDI data being sent in, that my computer will send it to it's MIDI out. But that implies that the computer *got* the MIDI data in the first place. And so why am I not seeing MIDI data in on the computer? I get MIDI data from controller to AF2, just not to the to Mac. How do I do get the MIDI data to the Mac?

MIDI menu parameters and communication - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Last edited:
It should allow note data through like any normal MIDI interface would. Last item about USB adapter mode on the MIDI diagram page of PDF manual: "Incoming data at the MIDI IN port or the MFC port of the Axe-Fx II is forwarded to the AXE-FX II MIDI INPUT of a connected computer."

I had the same problem when trying to use it as an interface for my keyboard. My keyboard is really old so I kinda' thought the keyboard might be the issue, but never tried another keyboard to verify. Would love to find a solution to get it to actually work, or at least a definite as to whether or not it will work.

I've not looked at the Axe's MIDI implementation so I've no idea if it'll allow MIDI 'note on' messages through or not

have you tried placing the Axe at the end of the MIDI chan and your keyboard closest to the MBP??
to be honest, I'd have cabled it this way anyhow because the further from the DAW you are in the MIDI chain, the more of a delay there is..
this delay is not so bad for program changes and MIDI: CC stuff.. but for performance data like 'note on' messages you'll be wanting the delay to be minimal..

MIDI chain
Axe -> keys -> MBP

I had the same problem when trying to use it as an interface for my keyboard. My keyboard is really old so I kinda' thought the keyboard might be the issue, but never tried another keyboard to verify. Would love to find a solution to get it to actually work, or at least a definite as to whether or not it will work.
With Axe-FX II you can see MIDI data being received when its LED lights up for note-on and note-off events -- just play any key and if you see that LED light up, that means data was sent. If the LED doesn't light up, then AXE-FX II did not receive data (given that the LED works (can be verified)).

Using MIDI Monitor[1], you should also be able to see MIDI data being received to the MBP.

In my case, the AXE-FX sees the MIDI data. The Mac recognizes the Axe-FX, but in MIDI Monitor, no data is being received.

I can't think of any reason why the MIDI data can't be sent over the USB cable, but that doesn't seem to be happening. (Yes, the USB cable is good, because AF2 is recognized.)

Has anyone gotten this to work?

[1] http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Last edited:
As others have stated, it should work. The MIDI implementation chart may state any info about note data or not (for AXE´s internal response, if there is any). However any unit that allows MIDI THRU either by an specific hardware port or by software re-route to the MIDI OUT port SHOULD allow all kinds of MIDI data to pass thru. Otherwise it wouldn´t be an MIDI THRU but an MIDI Filter...

I guess you´ve tried keyboard straight into MBP just to verify that the keyboard ports works properly? MIDI monitor isn´t setup in any kind of way where it filters some information?

What setting do you have on USB adapter mode?

/Mike

EDIT: added last question.

Last edited:
I didn't see a real answer here, but wanted to chime in. I've got an MFC hooked up to an AxeFX II via Cat5e. I then have the Axe connected to a Mac via USB. My goal has been to have the MFC pass Midi data to the PC, where I'll use Midi Translator to execute keyboard commands (I won't bore you with the details... I just want the foot controller to control some non-midi software on the Mac).

What I have found is that midi data is indeed passed to the Mac, but it appears to be mangled. Using two different tools, I could see midi data that didn't appear to conform to anything that I expected, and one of the tools reported that the midi data was invalid.

I saw another thread where someone was having similar problems with USB, so I'm going to try to hook up the Axe to the Mac via a standard midi connection. This is not ideal, since I'd prefer USB for a bunch of reasons.

Has anyone managed to get good midi forwarded through the USB port?

Back
Top Bottom