Midi Keyboard/Controller suggestions

KenH

Inspired
I am looking for a keyboard/midi controller that I can use to program drum patterns and use to play basic soft synth/keyboard parts (I am not a keyboard player). My DAW is Reaper and I am using Superior Drummer 2.0. Any suggestions on a decent keyboard/ controller I can buy that won't break the bank? I am eying the M-audio Oxygen 49 right now.

Also any suggestions on Softsynth software I should be looking into?

Thanks,
Ken

i really like the Zebra 2 softsynth. it's got a great interface, and great sound.

Last edited:
This post could have been written by me, Ken! Same DAW, same needs, same wondering about the Oxygen 49!

Reaper-superior drummer user here as well and my midi keyboard of choice is the m-audio axiom 25.Cool drum pads

Last edited:
Reaper-superior drummer user here is well and my midi keyboard of choice is the m-audio axiom 25.Cool drum pads

What are the differences between the axiom and oxygen line of keyboards? With the $100 diff between these 2 I could put towards soft synth software.

When you say "soft synth", what do you mean? Are you looking for electronic synth sounds (eg Omnisphere, Massive, Zebra, etc) or are you looking for a virtual instrument package that has an array of "realistic sounds" (eg Kontakt, Halion, Goliath).

If you are looking for a synth, then nothing beats Zebra in the "bang for the bucks" stakes. If you have the budget, look at Omnisphere instead (but it's expensive).

If you want to cover all your options, get the Native Instrument Komplete package, it's brilliant and is incredibly diverse - several great synths, an enormous sample library and superb pianos.

If you go for Komplete Version 8, get the "standard" version, not the "Ultimate" - I bought Ultimate and deeply regret it because all the extra stuff is pretty useless (and I paid a lot for it). There are also cheap versions of Version 7 floating around on eBay, and to be honest, there's nothing really useful in 8 that I didn't already have in 7.

Last edited:
What are the differences between the axiom and oxygen line of keyboards? With the $100 diff between these 2 I could put towards soft synth software.
Spectrasonics omnisphere is on top when speaking of software synth IMO.As for the axiom - oxygen comparison,i would say more buttons,more functionality,more beer :)

Probably looking more at " virtual instruments" as I do not have much time with family life and I just need something I can lay down some quick synth sounds in Reaper.

Back
Top Bottom