Midi keyboard advice?

GBminA

I want to buy a usb midi keyboard for use with axe fx 2 but i dont have any idea for keyboards. I need your advice? Budget 500 usd.

Hi....are you going to play keyboards for real on it or just use it as a controller?
I use a Korg MicroKontrol for midi control : its small, has a nice pad area, a little keyboard for the small amount of keyboard I need and has quite a nice set of buttons and sliders.....
There are a lot of nice control surfaces now.....

Usually i'm going to play keyboard such as piano or organ so keys are very important for me. For example, 61 keys must be at least.

For full-range piano stuff, I really like the feel of my Studiologic SL-990 Pro. I'm not a pianist at all, but I'm able to get a nice dynamic response out of it and like having 88 keys to work with. On the downside, it's very barebones and doesn't have a lot of controllers, aftertouch, or USB. If you need more control options, I've heard some good things about the Akai MPK keyboards, and they seem to be on sale now at musician's friend. If you're particular about the action, the best bet would be to get down to a guitar center and check them all out.

On a loosely related side note, I've just recently been trying out the MIDI Guitar software from JamOrigin and am highly impressed...
MIDI Guitar | | JamOrigin website

Usually i'm going to play keyboard such as piano or organ so keys are very important for me. For example, 61 keys must be at least.

What is the rest of the rig? Controller -> ?? (rackmount sound module? laptop running a host + virtual instruments?)

If you are planning on buying a separate rackmount sound module or a laptop and some VST's, I would look at the Nord keyboards. They are > 500$USD, but their onboard sounds are really good for gigging and they play play well.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom