MIDI issues...

andyp13

Power User
with the risk of being shot down in flames, I need to ask... has something been ‘tweaked with the MIDI on the Axe. I’m having a few issues. I use an external vocal harmony unit for my Vox which is controlled from my RJM GT16 Via the Axe III. It’s always been solid as a rock, however lately, i keep losing the midi connection, I need to power down the Axe and power up again then it works ok for a short while.
also, and this may be a part of the problem, if the Axe powered up First the vocal harmoniser does not boot properly - the screen is blank, I have to power up the harmoniser first and then the Axe for it all to work ok, it’s never done that before except with the Axe II. so there must be some kind of midi info coming from the axe III which prevents the harmoniser from booting up. The Axe II prevented the harmoniser from being switched on first but the axe III never did until the last few updates....

You could test with an older firmware version that you know was not failing, to see what happens.

Don't forget to backup everything first

Iv always kept up to date with firmwares (I never update until its out of Beta) it’s happened around 12-13... as I know it was fine before that...😕
with not gigging for a while I can’t pin-point it... but gigged last night and had to power down the Axe fx a number of times During the show to get it working again.....

Last edited:
Have you tried running your midi to the Vocal harmonizer first, then midi thru to the Axe-Fx III? Is there something happening in the Axe-Fx that needs to be sent to the harmonizer?

with the risk of being shot down in flames, I need to ask... has something been ‘tweaked with the MIDI on the Axe. I’m having a few issues. I use an external vocal harmony unit for my Vox which is controlled from my RJM GT16 Via the Axe III. It’s always been solid as a rock, however lately, i keep losing the midi connection, I need to power down the Axe and power up again then it works ok for a short while.
also, and this may be a part of the problem, if the Axe powered up First the vocal harmoniser does not boot properly - the screen is blank, I have to power up the harmoniser first and then the Axe for it all to work ok, it’s never done that before except with the Axe II. so there must be some kind of midi info coming from the axe III which prevents the harmoniser from booting up. The Axe II prevented the harmoniser from being switched on first but the axe III never did until the last few updates....

AFAIK nothing has changed recently with regard to MIDI. My MIDI equipment behaves fine with the Axe-Fx III.

AFAIK nothing has changed recently with regard to MIDI. My MIDI equipment behaves fine with the Axe-Fx III.
Mine was rock solid till lately...changed the cables etc. but still the same .. but the fact that the unit will not switch on after the Axe indicates some MIDI signal omitting from the Axe is preventing it...that’s what I was told with the Axe II when it did this 😕

Downgrade to the last firmware that worked okay, and see if the problem occurs.

Have you tried running your midi to the Vocal harmonizer first, then midi thru to the Axe-Fx III? Is there something happening in the Axe-Fx that needs to be sent to the harmonizer?

I use a powered midi from/to Axe III and RJM,then out of the Axe into the harmonise. I can't do it the other way.

Makes sense. But you can send power through a midi cable without involving the Axe-Fx III.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...VLD6tBh1fWwBcEAYYASABEgLPzPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

yes, seen that...the midi setup for the Axe III and RJM needs to use the in & Out and the thru goes to the in on the harmoniser, I only have In and Out on the harmoniser... so the order needs to be Axe III to Harmoniser which has always worked until recently. the Axe is transmitting something that is preventing the Harmoniser from booting up.

I use a powered midi from/to Axe III and RJM,then out of the Axe into the harmonise. I can't do it the other way.

Not quite. Bidirectional MIDI requires only the MIDI IN port on the RJM. This leaves the MIDI OUT port on the RJM for outgoing MIDI traffic.

Not quite. Bidirectional MIDI requires only the MIDI IN port on the RJM. This leaves the MIDI OUT port on the RJM for outgoing MIDI traffic.
Ah, I see what you mean, so if i connect a midi cable from the RJM out to the harmoniser in and it powers up ok, that will confirm if the problem is with the AXE III or not..... I’ll go and try that now 👍

Make sure that Send PCs is turned on in the GT’s settings.

Make sure that Send PCs is turned on in the GT’s settings.

hi, the MIDI out is used to connect the RJM to the AXE so I don’t have a MIDI out available to use when connected, however. I put a power supply to the RJM and connected it directly to the Harmoniser and it booted up as normal and worked ok. I then connected the Axe Thru to the harmoniser In (without the RJM) and the harmoniser will not boot up if the Axe is already on. I disconnected the cable from the Axe thru and the harmoniser booted up ok, I then connected the cable back up and also connected the RJM and all OK. The problem is that During the show the harmoniser stops responding to MIDI commands and I have to power down the Axe fx and power back up for it to start working again... it does seem that something MIDI related from the Axe III is causing the problem...

Last edited:
I remember this boot up problem was an issue with the Axe II including the occasional loss of connection... The axe III has always been fine until lately..I can’t pin down the exact firmware when the problem arose again as I’v not been gigging much since March, but I have kept up to date with the firmware.

Back
Top Bottom