--

I am running 1.19b3 and I've notice my axe fx has Program Changed by itself 2 times. I'm not using my Axe III this evening, but it is on, and connected via USB. My Liquid Foot is on and attached to the Axe.

This is the setup I've been running since day 1, and tonight is the first time it has changed presets by itself, while I'm tinkering with various Logic songs. I'm not touching my foot controller or purposely attempting to change patches, but, like I said, it has happened twice in the past several hours.

When it is hooked up and I use my midi controller (key station 49) the axe fx seems to send random midi notes.

Looks like project by project I can filter out "program changes" on the midi settings and that resolves the problem. Why is the AXE FX sending random program changes though?

In your first post you talk about random notes, and in the second post it is program changes. Is it both or one or the other?
Do you have the problem when running the Axe standalone, or does it only occur when also using AxeEdit?

I have not had any problems unless AxeEdit is running, and then I have had a few issues that have workarounds.
My erroneous messages are either SysEx or a bunch of unwanted notes if I am recording a MIDI keyboard (like huge stacks of low register chords), I have not had any program changes though, that I am aware.

Like you have noted, these are on a project by project basis so get things set up and save it as a template, then create new projects from that template.
In a nutshell you can certainly go into the input filter and filter out program changes, sysex, and notes, or whatever else. But what if you want to record those things from another source? Notes would be the big one you might want to keep open for input from another source.
So you go into the environment and create an object to absorb the data coming in from the Axe. The data is then not passed on to the sequencer input and no more weirdness ensues.

On a side note, on my system, If I do none of the above steps I get an avalanche of SysEx messages no matter what. If I set up the data sponge in the environment I get none, normally, until I play my keyboard, in which case I will get a few here and there unless I also go into the project settings and turn that filter on as well. It's almost like there is some USB crosstalk or something.

All my SysEx messages look like this: (my version of Logic thinks this belongs to Ta Horng Mus. Inst, who are assigned 00 00 74)
F0 00 01 74 10 01. In the 3rd party MIDI spec document that bold number is like 0A, 0B, etc.

I am running 1.19b3 and I've notice my axe fx has Program Changed by itself 2 times. I'm not using my Axe III this evening, but it is on, and connected via USB. My Liquid Foot is on and attached to the Axe.

This is the setup I've been running since day 1, and tonight is the first time it has changed presets by itself, while I'm tinkering with various Logic songs. I'm not touching my foot controller or purposely attempting to change patches, but, like I said, it has happened twice in the past several hours.

This seems like a different issue. My first guess is that you have the Preset Increment/Decrement set in the Axe to a particular cc# that may be sometimes used for something else. Example would be you set your Liquid Foot to send a cc# 7 on one of the buttons, and in the Axe you say Preset Increment is #7. Well that's normally a volume type of message and it's real easy to accidentally trigger some of those messages in Logic in numerous ways and make your Axe presets go haywire.
I would never make that mistake myself though so I don't know how I would have thought of it as an example o_O

In your first post you talk about random notes, and in the second post it is program changes. Is it both or one or the other?
Do you have the problem when running the Axe standalone, or does it only occur when also using AxeEdit?

I have not had any problems unless AxeEdit is running, and then I have had a few issues that have workarounds.
My erroneous messages are either SysEx or a bunch of unwanted notes if I am recording a MIDI keyboard (like huge stacks of low register chords), I have not had any program changes though, that I am aware.

Like you have noted, these are on a project by project basis so get things set up and save it as a template, then create new projects from that template.
In a nutshell you can certainly go into the input filter and filter out program changes, sysex, and notes, or whatever else. But what if you want to record those things from another source? Notes would be the big one you might want to keep open for input from another source.
So you go into the environment and create an object to absorb the data coming in from the Axe. The data is then not passed on to the sequencer input and no more weirdness ensues.

On a side note, on my system, If I do none of the above steps I get an avalanche of SysEx messages no matter what. If I set up the data sponge in the environment I get none, normally, until I play my keyboard, in which case I will get a few here7 and there unless I also go into the project settings and turn that filter on as well. It's almost like there is some USB crosstalk or something.

All my SysEx messages look like this: (my version of Logic thinks this belongs to Ta Horng Mus. Inst, who are assigned 00 00 74)
F0 00 01 74 10 01. In the 3rd party MIDI spec document that bold number is like 0A, 0B, etc.
as a Longtime non power user of Logic, I have shied away from the Environment setups
For the most part, and Ihave numerous midi Instruments(midi guitar 2, Tripleplay, linnstrument ) and the spurious notes and other USB crosstalk occurs always if AxeEdit is active when using logic....any chance you can post a template Logic Pro project that includes,The mods you made...? A bet more than a few of us wouldreally appreciate..thanks. @LigLury

Here is how to do it yourself to your own projects (it's easy).

In File>Project Settings>MIDI go to the Filter tab and select SysEx, and maybe Program Changes if you are having problems with that.

In the Environment go to Click and Ports, make a new monitor object, and cable it to the AxeFxIII input

It might look like this at first (you'll probably have more items listed in the Physical Input)Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.25.34 PM.png
Unless there is a connection made to one of those microscopic arrows, everything ends up at the Sum and goes from there to the Sequencer.
We want to take the info from the Axe not let it get anywhere.

You will make this by going into the local NEW menu and selecting monitor. Then cable from the Axe to the monitor.
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 12.29.46 PM.png

Easy as lyin!

I guess I should clarify a couple things for anybody else that comes across this.

If you are not having any problems with extra notes, and only need to stop SysEx or Program change messages you probably don't need to do the environment step. Just do the input filter in Project settings.

If you are having problems with extra notes, and need to record notes from other devices then the environment step is your first stop. Then, if you are still having a few extra SysEx (like I have), you can go into Project settings and filter those further.

As to why this is required is beyond me, but I have always had this kind of issue with other devices/software and Logic. It was even in the set-up instructions for one device

I guess I should clarify a couple things for anybody else that comes across this.

If you are having problems with extra notes, and need to record notes from other devices then the environment step is your first stop.

I guess I'm going to need clarification of where the "environment" is? Is it a midi instrument, or is it within a certain menu? I didn't see it in the same area where I found the checkboxes for Sysex and PC commands.

Thanks

I guess I'm going to need clarification of where the "environment" is? Is it a midi instrument, or is it within a certain menu? I didn't see it in the same area where I found the checkboxes for Sysex and PC commands.

Thanks
its the hidden engine behind everything , apparently....go to Logic/Window/Open Midi environment
then in that new window go to Layer/Clicks and Ports to view the connections...I recommend
using @LigLury 's template above..though there seems to be many different ways to route once you get it.....

Back
Top Bottom