MIDI In Light Keeps Blinking and Glitching the Sound

Tonemaster

Inspired
I'm using the MFC and Axe Edit with the MIDI Solutions MIDI Merger. The MIDI In light on the Axe blinks about once every second and I get a glitch in the sound that corresponds to that pulse. Also, and this is very wierd, if I try to go to any menu on the Axe, it brings me right back to the Patch Edit. I assume the MFC or Axe Edit is sending a patch change???

This set up works fine with my Ground Control Pro. Note, I haven't modded the MIDI Merger per this thread (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29450-MIDI-Merge/page3?highlight=edit), but that should only give me the patch names and tempo/tuner capability.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Playing with this again tonight and I see that if I unplug the midi cable from the MFC, the pulse stops as does the glitch. Why is the MFC sending a patch change every second?

Anyone????

Try it without the merger, MFC straight to AxeFX. If it still does it I'd start suspecting something silly like a stuck button. Does it keep returning the same preset?

Works fine direct. Trying to use the MFC and Axe Edit together with the merger. Works fine with the GCP. However, I realize, the MFC is a different animal.

Its not sending a patch change message, its polling the Axe to get patch names, blocks on off etc.

i had the same issue when using a 7 pin cable that only had 5 cores when the Axe was set to Axe mode - and also with a 5 pin that was only wired with 3.

Whats happening is you've set the MFC to Axe mode so its expectin info fromt he Axe itself and is polling it to trigger the response. for some reason that information isnt making it back to the MFC so it re-sends the poll.

That could be because the cable dfrom the MFC doesnt have the right amount of cores, OR the Midi merger isnt sending anything through some of the pins.

Try JUST plugging the MFC into the Axe using the cable you currently use from MFC to merger - no Axe-Edit and no merger. That will rule out (or in) the cable as the cause. If it works, then swop the cable over so your using the one you now use from Axe In to Merger. If that works then its the merger causing the problem. Both cables must work - if one doesnt you cant use the MFC in Axe mode. If one (or both) cables dont work then you need propper 5 pin 5 core, or 7 pin 7 core cables.

EDIT** Just re-read your thread. you haven moddeed the merger. Yes - all that adds is pach names, tuner etc BUT without that mod you CANT use the MFC in Axe mode. If you do the MFC is expecting info fromthe Axe but isnt getting it. that causes the MFC to re-send its requests, hence the midi light and returning to the patch screen. If your not goiong to mod the merger you have to turn OFF tha Axe mode and use it as a standard controller.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! BTW, I believe I PM'd you when I saw your thread with a similar problem. I will try this out tonight to verify my cables are all good.

I wasn't aware that the MIDI Merger mod was a must for Axe Edit to work. The directions on the Wiki say that the mod is necessary for the bi-directional patch names, tuner, etc....but I guess it makes sense that the polling will continue w/o a response and cause the glitchtes.

I'll have to work on that! Thanks again!

The Mods are not necessary to make Axe-Edit work with the MFC if your using it in non Axe mode. if however you wish to use the MFC in Axe-FX Mode it IS required.

I'm using Axe-fx mode, so I'll need to do it. Another consideration I have to make is my MIDI interface. I'm using an M-Audio Uno which has the midi cables built in. I'm wondering if they support bi-directional exchange. I think I'll throw a new post out there to see if anyone is successfully using this with the MFC and Axe-Edit.

I have the same problem. I just got my MFC-101 today.
Midi light flashes and a blip in the sound in time to the flashing.
I was in Axe-fx mode like you.

Funny you mentioned a possible communication issue.

Today I tried to use Axe-edit to upgrade my axe-fx firmware but I could not link it up to the axe-fx in the audio/midi page of the software.

It was working last time I used axe-edit (a few weeks ago), now it is not.
Hmmm...

Alp

Back
Top Bottom