Midi help requested

dgzieg

Inspired
Hi all, I figured more than a few Fractal owners would have experience with Midi, and while I've used it to control rack rigs in the past, I don't have experience with using a Midi USB keyboard to control external sounds. What I haven't found an answer to, is what is the minimum computer configuration, or the minimum functionality external box, that will let me play other keyboard sounds from the Casio keyboard I plan to use as a controller. I'm not a keyboard player, but have one for when friends join me to jam, and would like to have the capability to use more sounds than are built in to the keyboard. I've heard it depends on the DAW, I'd probably use Reaper, but I also wondered if there isn't something simpler to use than Reaper, since I'm not interested in recording, just live use. Thanks for any input.

Hi all, I figured more than a few Fractal owners would have experience with Midi, and while I've used it to control rack rigs in the past, I don't have experience with using a Midi USB keyboard to control external sounds. What I haven't found an answer to, is what is the minimum computer configuration, or the minimum functionality external box, that will let me play other keyboard sounds from the Casio keyboard I plan to use as a controller. I'm not a keyboard player, but have one for when friends join me to jam, and would like to have the capability to use more sounds than are built in to the keyboard. I've heard it depends on the DAW, I'd probably use Reaper, but I also wondered if there isn't something simpler to use than Reaper, since I'm not interested in recording, just live use. Thanks for any input.
http://www.roland.ca/products/um-one/
There may be cheaper than this but this is what I know of.

If you're on a Mac, MainStage is a steal at $30. You just turn the sound down on the Casio and use the MainStage app as your sound source. It's takes a bit to figure out how to configure for complex setups but for basic sounds,(organ, piano, synth etc) it's pretty straightforward. Once you learn how to do splits and layers it's very powerful and it comes with lots of sounds plus you can use any VSTs you have on your computer. You'll need a midi interface into the computer. The UM One is good as slinky005 said.

Hi, forgot to mention in the OP, I have the M-Audio UM-1 interface. Should also mention I'd be using either a laptop (Win7), or some standalone device, if there is such a thing. Thanks for the replies.

A few thoughts...

The cheapest computer in the world can play at a decent level your basic midi instruments through a controller- at a decent level/quality

The problem is when you go to more higher end/quality samples is when the power is needed- some virtual instrument pianos are 100gb for one sound it takes a lot of computer to do it effectively- to do it with no latency/delay/issues-

The cheapest way is get a digidesign mbox mini for $20- and use the free protools software and use XPAND/Expand

But using it live- if you're using big samples and want huge quality- you'll need a computer with a solid state drive just of samples

Thanks, that's very helpful. You've also helped define what I'm looking to do. I won't need to load the sound of a symphony orchestra, so my samples won't be huge. I'll look into the digidesign unit. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom