MIDI guitars

I was using a Line6 Sonic Port (a small 1/4" to Lightning adapter), but lately
I've been using a Focusrite iTrack Dock. Holds the iPad and has several input/output options.
Charges iPad also. Has Instrument, Mic & Line inputs, 1/4" monitor & headphone outs, USB.
I've seen them pretty cheap on ebay or Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B00HX6IQK0
So... A late follow-up, but I finally got around to getting my hands on the iTrack Dock.

Did not hook it up yet but reading through the (very) brief Getting Started guide it mentions using in conjunction with Core Audio apps, but the Midi Guitar 2 website says the iOS version doesn't support Core Audio.

Hoping it "just works"...

Edit:

The hardest part of making things work was to get the various Input and Output blocks hooked together in the right way.

I just spent the last 90 minutes experimenting and having fun.

The built in sounds are pretty cool and since you can tweak all the parameters, it's seems like you can get a lot out of it.

For you guys using it with iOS, are you running other soft synths? What do you recommend?

Last edited:
I have done a preliminary setup connecting the iTrack Dock stereo outs to the
Axe III L/R inputs. Then I created a separate chain for the synth app(s) only,
controlled using a standard Fractal Exp pedal. So that solves the stereo output
Vol control issue. This way, I can blend in any volume of Synth sounds with my
regular Axe outputs. So I have separate Vol pedals for the regular guitar signal
and the Synth signal. Sometimes tricky to maneuver with the feet, but it seems
to work pretty well. I haven't used it for a while though.

I'll revisit the patch again. If it looks usable, I'll post it here. maybe it will give a few ideas..

Last edited:
I'm enjoying just noodling around and exploring. I've tried a number of free synth apps and found that getting them to work with midi guitar 2 is pretty simple.

I have no idea if/how it would be usable for me live, but it's fun!

So... A late follow-up, but I finally got around to getting my hands on the iTrack Dock.

For you guys using it with iOS, are you running other soft synths? What do you recommend?

Welcome to iOS music creation - prepare to go down the rabbit hole!

There are a tonne of great synth apps for iOS. All the Moog synths, Arturia modeled synths, Korg's collection, BeepStreet's Sunrizer, IK Multimedia Sampletank and Syntronik (but beware sample rate issues) are some great ones to start with.

You'll wanna get AUM and/or Audiobus 3 for hosting (maybe Ape Matrix too).

RE: MG2 - it will just work. I've never had problems with it other than with beta versions and issues get resolved quite quickly. There are a few different ways to run it on iOS so be prepared to test a lot to find what works for your workflow.

I'd highly recommend getting onto the Audiobus forum too. There's a lot of garbage to wade through but also many pearls of useful information for iOS explorers there. Jam Origin also just launched a forum for MG2 and related products.

Welcome to iOS music creation - prepare to go down the rabbit hole!

There are a tonne of great synth apps for iOS. All the Moog synths, Arturia modeled synths, Korg's collection, BeepStreet's Sunrizer, IK Multimedia Sampletank and Syntronik (but beware sample rate issues) are some great ones to start with.

You'll wanna get AUM and/or Audiobus 3 for hosting (maybe Ape Matrix too).

RE: MG2 - it will just work. I've never had problems with it other than with beta versions and issues get resolved quite quickly. There are a few different ways to run it on iOS so be prepared to test a lot to find what works for your workflow.

I'd highly recommend getting onto the Audiobus forum too. There's a lot of garbage to wade through but also many pearls of useful information for iOS explorers there. Jam Origin also just launched a forum for MG2 and related products.
Cool. Thanks...

Right now I'm just playing with free stuff and find a few nice ones.

When I get a minute, I will post here.

Anyone with tips and tricks regarding the use of MG2 can feel free to post them. Especially things like improving tracking and response to pitch bends, etc.

Back
Top Bottom