MIDI Guitar 2

Tom Morris

Power User
Just a heads up that MIDI GUITAR 2 for IOS now available for the latest IOS. Free to download and try out with in app purchase. $9.99 to unlock and another $19.99 for use with other midi instruments through IOS. Tracks pretty good, about as good as any other solutions out there. Nice thing about this app is no need for a midi pickup, just plug guitar in and go.

https://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar-for-ios/

I’ve been an advocate of this amazing app since it’s inception....thanks for the heads up on this update....their PR is not as good as their
Product......(of course, its already showed up in my Updated apps on my Ipad

Will be fun to give this new version a try. I’ve typcially found I end up just using a real midi keyboard but this type of stuff can be fun.

Thinking maybe I can add an old iPhone to my rack and dedicate it to running something like this and route it back into the Axe, giving some additional firepower over what the synth block can do

I been wanting to try this my self for a couple months. They have been working on it for a while to get it IOS12 compatible. Guess I have to pony up the additional $20 so I can use Celtic sounds for bagpipes. Honestly I have a pretty decent synth bagpipe thing with the AFX III but blending the two might just be the jaw dropper.

I tried this a few years back and it just didn’t work well after hours of fiddling even after adjusting my playing and trying everything to get it track right ! So again today tried for two hours the demo is just as clunky and unreliable even playing simple keyboard parts I get ghost notes and odd missing notes ! Am I doing anything wrong my Mac is quad core 16g ram through good soundcard ?

Is the triple play any better ? I want to pull trigger but wary I’d get same results

Any comments? £85 uk

You have to greatly change your technique with guitar synths. Can’t bend, need to hit each note very cleanly, soft attack usually works better etc

It’s not easy taking something like a guitar string and mapping it to a an exact tonal midi note.

Just watch a guitar tuner as you fret the note, slightest change in finger pressure totally throws off the pitch, and in essentially real time a software needs to try to figure out all the notes and what you want it to track and what you don’t want it to track.

The fact it can do this at all is pretty amazing to me, as I grew up with poor tracking octave down pedals and mono guitar synths that glitched like a mofo lol.

Never going to get the expressive nature of a stringed instrument from a midi keyboard and never going to get a stringed instrument to track like a piano keyboard

What lqdsnddist said...but, also there are plenty of users getting great results with it so (if your technique is excellent and MG2 doesn't respond comfortably) it's almost certainly the way you have it setup. MG2's not plug and play and it's not well documented. It definitely requires some attention and tweaking to understand how all parameters and settings thereof relate to your technique.

You have to greatly change your technique with guitar synths. Can’t bend, need to hit each note very cleanly, soft attack usually works better etc

It’s not easy taking something like a guitar string and mapping it to a an exact tonal midi note.

Just watch a guitar tuner as you fret the note, slightest change in finger pressure totally throws off the pitch, and in essentially real time a software needs to try to figure out all the notes and what you want it to track and what you don’t want it to track.

The fact it can do this at all is pretty amazing to me, as I grew up with poor tracking octave down pedals and mono guitar synths that glitched like a mofo lol.

Never going to get the expressive nature of a stringed instrument from a midi keyboard and never going to get a stringed instrument to track like a piano keyboard

Yeah, but its fun to make a guitar sound like a piano. Lots of things are not exactly the smartest way to use something. But it may deliver something really cool, and because you play it on a stringed instrument it might get you an interesting keyboard riff you'd never get when approaching from a keyboard. And vice versa.

As for the app? IOS only? Not much use for most of humanity it would seem.

Yeah, but its fun to make a guitar sound like a piano. Lots of things are not exactly the smartest way to use something. But it may deliver something really cool, and because you play it on a stringed instrument it might get you an interesting keyboard riff you'd never get when approaching from a keyboard. And vice versa.

As for the app? IOS only? Not much use for most of humanity it would seem.

I’m not saying it doesn’t have its used and it’s fun if nothing else, but, simply that you can’t expect it to perfectly track complex chords and such. Glitches are just part of what you have to live with.

I’m not sure if the app is iOS only, but they have a Mac and PC version as well which has a free demo.

You can load vst instruments into it even

What lqdsnddist said...but, also there are plenty of users getting great results with it so (if your technique is excellent and MG2 doesn't respond comfortably) it's almost certainly the way you have it setup. MG2's not plug and play and it's not well documented. It definitely requires some attention and tweaking to understand how all parameters and settings thereof relate to your technique.

It’s no different than the EHX keys pedals.... the official demo sounds awesome, and the dude playing it has really mastered it, but then I went and bought them and they sounded nothing like the demo. I thought I’d have these awesome b3 runs and could just play normally. Nope, needed to totally play differently, can’t mute, can’t bend, need to pick and finger things differently, and then it can make cool sounds but it’s far from easy to master.

It’s no different than the EHX keys pedals.... the official demo sounds awesome, and the dude playing it has really mastered it, but then I went and bought them and they sounded nothing like the demo. I thought I’d have these awesome b3 runs and could just play normally. Nope, needed to totally play differently, can’t mute, can’t bend, need to pick and finger things differently, and then it can make cool sounds but it’s far from easy to master.

EHX's Bill Ruppert makes everything sound good :)

Anytime you acquire a new instrument it takes time to get to know it and learn to express yourself through it. Similarly, the tools of guitar synthesis require you to think a bit differently, dare I say more musically; less guitaristically.

Roland VG-99 is the answer. No pitch-to midi conversion. It is actually a modeller. Captures all strings nuances and expressions (it doesn't actually "captures", it rather models, like the Axe-FX amp or CAB blocks)

Roland VG-99 is the answer. No pitch-to midi conversion. It is actually a modeller. Captures all strings nuances and expressions (it doesn't actually "captures", it rather models, like the Axe-FX amp or CAB blocks)

But it does have a pitch-to-MIDI conversion function in addition to the modeling you mentioned.

I been wanting to try this my self for a couple months. They have been working on it for a while to get it IOS12 compatible. Guess I have to pony up the additional $20 so I can use Celtic sounds for bagpipes. Honestly I have a pretty decent synth bagpipe thing with the AFX III but blending the two might just be the jaw dropper.

Do you have a patch example for the synth bagpipes with the AxeIII?

But it does have a pitch-to-MIDI conversion function in addition to the modeling you mentioned.

I've never used it. It is just an auxiliary accessory that was not even available at the previous units like the VG8, not a part of the VG concept. And its quality is not as good as the Axon AX100 MKII

I've never used it. It is just an auxiliary accessory that was not even available at the previous units like the VG8, not a part of the VG concept. And its quality is not as good as the Axon AX100 MKII

If you didn't ever use the VG-99's Pitch-to-MIDI function how could you be in a position to make a real-world comparison to the Axon (or anything else for that matter)?

If you didn't ever use the VG-99's Pitch-to-MIDI function how could you be in a position to make a real-world comparison to the Axon (or anything else for that matter)?

I did use the VG-99 pitch-to-MIDI once, just for testing purposes. Then, since I found that the Axon was tracking better, I never used the pitch-to-MIDI function of the VG-99 for performance or recording purposes; I only used the VG (Virtual Guitar) function of the VG-99, which uses no pitch-to-MIDI technology but waveform modelling technology.

Are you a lawyer or a legal academic? That scrutiny on the wording reminds me the Procurement Auditor of my office ;)

If you require forensic evidence, here is a picture where I have the VG-99 (over the rack) and the Axon (top position inside the rack) :p

06.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom