MIDI Guitar 2 - Out of Beta and Bitchen

Pitch bend sends pitch bend data not notes. It can be pretty extensive though. I'm not having any real problem with it in MIDI Guitar 2 though. I ran it stand alone and as a plugin. I was going to put a file up that GotMetalBoy requested but it crashed Cubase and then I had to go to work. I'll do it later if no-one else has.

That's not what I meant...but that's what I wrote. :)
I updated to the release but somehow Logic is not recognizing the audio unit component.
I ran the low level terminal test and the component was found and passed but I've tried everything.
I think the advice given here about running it standalone and setting up the midi as a virtual port may be the way to go to
give the official release a go with Logic.

I'm going to have to give this a try. It takes me forever to write notation. I record the timing by tapping on a key on my MIDI keyboard or playing my V-Drums and then I import the MIDI track into Guitar Pro and move the beat to the correct notes. It would be so much faster if I could record MIDI from my guitar. Even if 75% of the timing and notes were correct, it would still be faster than what I'm currently doing.

Have you tried midi quantize during recording?

For notation, I find it helps. Just pick the subdivision, e.g. 1/8" note, and it will snap the midi notes to the grid while you are recording midi.

Can it be used as a MIDI source in to other MIDI instruments? Specifically VSTis? Answer: yes.

Ian, you can host ANY VST or AU plugin, within the program....or use it to control plugins in your DAW, I haven't worked at all with the new onboard sounds and Deep FX, but they seem promising.
S

OMG

Wait a minute... So I can control SSD4?

I think this has solved our current lack-of-drummer problem. I shall stand on the drum riser with my guitar in hand and shred like Satch, but sound like Neil Peart. Profit!

edit:
And we won't even have to mic up a drum kit!

edit 2:
And i bet you guys think I'm joking...

Have you tried midi quantize during recording?

For notation, I find it helps. Just pick the subdivision, e.g. 1/8" note, and it will snap the midi notes to the grid while you are recording midi.

When I used the Roland MIDI pickup it was about 7 years ago and I didn't think to try quantizing the input because I couldn't play anything faster than quarter notes.

I couldn't figure out how to record MIDI with the MIDI Guitar 2 trial version. I was able to play through the built in sounds and it tracked most notes above the A string but the low E was having issues. I was having some issues with it recognizing an audio interface and had to close and open it a few times. I'm going to try it out more this weekend.

I gave it a go with the standalone trial version. Need to do more fiddling to see if I can get something I can use. Mainly I wanted to do piano. It turned into a mess, haha. My playing isn't very precise to begin with, so that's probably the biggest factor. I couldn't get a balance point on the gate where it would deaden ghost notes and overtones, while allowing my higher strings or lower velocities to be heard. Next I'll try going through the Axe first, so I can do more corrective processing before feeding it to the app (this last time I just plugged straight into my audio interface).

Polyphonic strings were a little better (I think I used a Cakewalk VST), but again it's still hard to find a gate balance that lets lower velocities or higher strings be heard. I'll fiddle around (pun hah) with mono next.

The synth sounds were much more forgiving for my sloppiness. But I already have an SY-300 for such things, so that's not a factor.

Drums were a blast. Mindless fun, but too comical for me to really focus on trying to get something useful. Ultimately this aspect will be more of an amusement for band practice than for getting any actual work done.

Overall it seems good. I loves me some pitch to MIDI, but obviously my sloppiness is the limiting factor here. If this came out a long time ago before I got my SY-300, I might be more eager to buy it just for the synth. I'll have to fiddle with it more. To be continued.

Here's a short test I did with the Midi Guitar 2 Plugin in Cubase 8.5.

Here's the midi file.

Thank you for sharing! You're getting a lot better tracking than I am with the trial version. I also notice that the built in synth seems to ignore the little glitches better than when I loaded your MIDI into my DAW and played it through some softsynths.

The full version has a midi 'tone knob' similar to a guitar tone pot but in the midi domain. Try cranking it up if it is within the trial.

I gave it a go with the standalone trial version. Need to do more fiddling to see if I can get something I can use. Mainly I wanted to do piano. It turned into a mess, haha. My playing isn't very precise to begin with, so that's probably the biggest factor. I couldn't get a balance point on the gate where it would deaden ghost notes and overtones, while allowing my higher strings or lower velocities to be heard. Next I'll try going through the Axe first, so I can do more corrective processing before feeding it to the app (this last time I just plugged straight into my audio interface).

Polyphonic strings were a little better (I think I used a Cakewalk VST), but again it's still hard to find a gate balance that lets lower velocities or higher strings be heard. I'll fiddle around (pun hah) with mono next.

The synth sounds were much more forgiving for my sloppiness. But I already have an SY-300 for such things, so that's not a factor.

Drums were a blast. Mindless fun, but too comical for me to really focus on trying to get something useful. Ultimately this aspect will be more of an amusement for band practice than for getting any actual work done.

Overall it seems good. I loves me some pitch to MIDI, but obviously my sloppiness is the limiting factor here. If this came out a long time ago before I got my SY-300, I might be more eager to buy it just for the synth. I'll have to fiddle with it more. To be continued.

Thank you for sharing! You're getting a lot better tracking than I am with the trial version. I also notice that the built in synth seems to ignore the little glitches better than when I loaded your MIDI into my DAW and played it through some softsynths.
You're welcome. The play back I did was through the Matrix 12 soft synth. I think the attack of the sound would have some effect on how much the tracking glitches show up.

Hi,

So - I must be missing something - I am pretty sure I have read through all the online and in app instructions - but I cannot get the free trial to do anything. The GUI is there, but how the heck do you hear the output? I know this is one of those horrible, idiotic questions that drive people nuts on forums. I have been using computers to make music with my guitar for over 25 years, so you would think I could figure this out.

Sorry for the noob question, but any help is appreciated.

FYI - I am just plugging straight into the Axe, using it as my USB interface. Start up the trial version, it defaults to the Axe ASIO as my interface. I choose a patch, I play and...no MIDI sounds.

Click on the interface tab and make sure you have the Axe FX as the input and the output.
On the midi velocity tab you should see some white note lines appear as you play.

Thanks for the reply. I am still getting nothing. I will play with it more later when I have more time.
Wish I could have
helped ....more ,butWindows audio is alien to me. The only thing I can think of do you have the USB return level up on the I/O of the AX FX?

I bought this yesterday. It works pretty well if I use the built-in instruments. I added my vst plugin folders and it didn't add Addictive Drums or EZDrummer so I added tracks for those and midi-receive from midi-guitar track and that seems to work.

When researching this product before buying I found some mention of a virtual midi output that could be selected in other programs such as a notation program like Guitar Pro 6 however I don't see that option. You can select a hardware midi out port for output. So I did that and cabled the midi out to the midi in on my audio interface. The result is guitar pro6 receives notes as if I inputed them from the keyboard not like a recording with timing values and only notes from the high E string open and higher.

I bought this yesterday. It works pretty well if I use the built-in instruments. I added my vst plugin folders and it didn't add Addictive Drums or EZDrummer so I added tracks for those and midi-receive from midi-guitar track and that seems to work.

When researching this product before buying I found some mention of a virtual midi output that could be selected in other programs such as a notation program like Guitar Pro 6 however I don't see that option. You can select a hardware midi out port for output. So I did that and cabled the midi out to the midi in on my audio interface. The result is guitar pro6 receives notes as if I inputed them from the keyboard not like a recording with timing values and only notes from the high E string open and higher.
Click on 'Interface' in top left corner. There you can select virtual midi output.

Back
Top Bottom