MIDI Guitar 2 - Out of Beta and Bitchen

Bought this last night. I have an instance of MIDI Guitar 2 and EZ Keys Piano both open in stand alone mode and EZ Keys is naming the guitar chords I play as well as showing their piano location. Sweet.

Having trouble figuring out how to record MIDI from my guitar into a Logic X track. Anyone with experience or ideas would be appreciated. Guitar is plugged into my Fractal and it's being used as the audio interface. I got it to record MIDI but it's also recording MIDI for the other other audio tracks in the project that are playing.

Kind of wanting to listen to Logic Tracks, track a MIDI guitar part for a bass guitar track.
...they've got a video showing how to do this on the jam origin site.
You need an audio track...insert the midi guitar plug-in
Then you need a sw instrument track assigned to the sound you want...and it should work outright.

Played around with the demo and I think a purchase is going to have to wait until I can upgrade my iMac. I kept pushing the CPU meter to max and it'd stop tracking. Certainly can't complain about the 10 years I got out of this iMac. Just waiting on Apple to do a refresh...should be any month now...right?

Played around with the demo and I think a purchase is going to have to wait until I can upgrade my iMac. I kept pushing the CPU meter to max and it'd stop tracking. Certainly can't complain about the 10 years I got out of this iMac. Just waiting on Apple to do a refresh...should be any month now...right?
Works really well on the new MBP...

Sorry to hear. Did you test it out? Or is that info from Jam Origin? The standalone didn't control PT midi instruments when in Virtual Midi output mode? I'm a Logic only guy.
Here's what I found on the website
AVID PROTOOLS
Since ProTools does not support VST or AU plugins you need to use MIDI Guitar standalone and a virtual midi driver. Since most ASIO drivers only works with one application at a time you might also need a second interface. The idea is that you connect MIDI Guitar to ProTools though a virtual cable (in much the same way you would connect a physical midi keyboard controller though its software driver). Its fairly simple:

1. If you are using Windows you need a virtual midi loop driver, such as loopMidi or loopBe1 (both freeware). Mac users can skip this step as Apple operating systems already include a virtual midi standard.

2. Make sure MIDI Guitar works in standalone mode, i.e. you can play the Test Piano.

3. In MIDI Guitar select the virtual midi loop driver as MIDI Output (bottom left). On Windows that is a loopMidi/loopBe1 device. On Mac its the “MIDI Guitar Virtual MIDI Out”.

4. In ProTools, enable the same device as input. (Setup > MIDI >Input Devices > Check the box next to the MIDI Guitar loop output). Mac users just select the built in “MIDI Guitar Virtual MIDI Out”.

5. Thats it. Your guitar is now connected to ProTools, just like a midi keyboard.

Note that virtual midi is not ideal in terms of latency, although usually the impact is unnoticeable. We will consider an AAX plugin in the future.

Sorry to hear. Did you test it out? Or is that info from Jam Origin? The standalone didn't control PT midi instruments when in Virtual Midi output mode? I'm a Logic only guy.

It runs in the box in a VST host fine but the VST hosts don't support midi out.

I haven't tried the standalone -> PT yet.

Some day I hope to have the time to get back in to MIDI guitar. The Axe-Fx would be such an incredible tool to have in a rig like this.

I've never used MIDI guitar in performance but I would love to be able to play in parts to Sibelius for printing notation.

My keyboard controller is far away from the mix desk and is an awkward workflow.

I meant to say earlier, my CPU problems aside, the program's tracking was really impressive. Using it for VSTi-generated bass sounds would work well. It even handled slides and small bends well.

I meant to say earlier, my CPU problems aside, the program's tracking was really impressive. Using it for VSTi-generated bass sounds would work well. It even handled slides and small bends well.

I've got the Scarbee Rickenbacker and Precision sample libraries. They use a special "script" technology that makes it easy to play convincing parts using a keyboard controller.

Would be interesting to see how the JamMan software would fair with that.

I'm going to have to give this a try. It takes me forever to write notation. I record the timing by tapping on a key on my MIDI keyboard or playing my V-Drums and then I import the MIDI track into Guitar Pro and move the beat to the correct notes. It would be so much faster if I could record MIDI from my guitar. Even if 75% of the timing and notes were correct, it would still be faster than what I'm currently doing.

I bought version 1 while it was in beta and put it down pretty quick following release. When they released the version 2 beta it looked as though they were throwing a whole lot more energy/new approach that looked promising but i wasnt sure if it would amount to much. But omg, the release version fricking delivers on the promises. I hope they enjoy success for all the work they put in.

I just bought MIDI Guitar 2. It's quite nice. For some reason the CPU meter was acting up earlier today but now it's fine at lowest buffer setting on my MBP 2015. I'm having a blast going through my Native Instruments presets. So many possibilities. Next step is to integrate it with the AxeFX and MFC 101 so I can control presets and use expression pedals.

Anyone know if the current version works better than the Trial version and if there's a way to test recording MIDI into my DAW with the Trial version?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro v1607 64bit with Cakewalk SONAR Platinum 64bit and 32bit versions installed. I know how to record MIDI into my DAW but I couldn't figure out how to get MIDI Guitar 2 Trial version to feed into a MIDI track.

If there's not a way with the trial version, would someone with the paid version mind sharing a quick recording, playing some syncopation and not just 8th notes, with no edits and also share the notation, so I can see how good it tracks? I tried to use the Roland MIDI pickup in the past but it recorded a ton of unneeded notes, so I want to make sure MIDI Guitar 2 tracks cleaner MIDI before I purchase it. I know I have to be careful not to use vibrato when playing but my previous experiences with guitar to MIDI have been useless.

Anyone know if the current version works better than the Trial version and if there's a way to test recording MIDI into my DAW with the Trial version?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro v1607 64bit with Cakewalk SONAR Platinum 64bit and 32bit versions installed. I know how to record MIDI into my DAW but I couldn't figure out how to get MIDI Guitar 2 Trial version to feed into a MIDI track.

If there's not a way with the trial version, would someone with the paid version mind sharing a quick recording, playing some syncopation and not just 8th notes, with no edits and also share the notation, so I can see how good it tracks? I tried to use the Roland MIDI pickup in the past but it recorded a ton of unneeded notes, so I want to make sure MIDI Guitar 2 tracks cleaner MIDI before I purchase it. I know I have to be careful not to use vibrato when playing but my previous experiences with guitar to MIDI have been useless.

There is a gate setting in midi guitar 2. I find it greatly helps to avoid these junk notes. Once you find the right gate settings for your playing style it tracks pretty clean. I think you can have all the features available in a trial version. So test it for yourself.

There is a gate setting in midi guitar 2. I find it greatly helps to avoid these junk notes. Once you find the right gate settings for your playing style it tracks pretty clean. I think you can have all the features available in a trial version. So test it for yourself.
Puikus radinys:)

pitch bend functionality infers lots of midi notes. I had an axon 100 and I had to specifically go after the filtering of notes to get it quiet down.
You should be able to turn pitch bend OFF and see it clean up to prove it to yourself...

Back
Top Bottom