MIDI Controllers Moving Presets up and Down Consistently

peteri

Experienced
Hi

I've posted a number of times on this - keep thinking I've got it cracked, but it's still evading me.

I'm using a MC6, my presets start at 420.

So I have a double click which sends a bank and program change - that gets me onto 420.

I then have a single click which sends a PC Scroll Up
and another button PC Scroll Down

BUT PC Scroll up starts from the start of the bank NOT the current preset I'm on, similarly PC Scroll Down starts from the end of the bank.

Logically this makes some sort of sense, given the Scroll up is sending a value which increments on the MC6 not the Fractal, but it gets worse because they're never in-sync (so I press up twice, then want to go back - I have to hit back lots of times to get there, then when I press up again it starts from the wrong point).

Has anyone got a foot controller working properly to just get preset up and down consistently? I can't believe this won't be possible until the FCs come out

Dang it. I tried to delete it. Forgive me; I spoke prematurely. I can't find a MIDI option in the III for "Preset INC/DEC" - but it's there for scenes. Sorry. This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time my foot winds up in my mouth in this forum by me replying too quickly or making assumptions. I guess I figured the FCB can do just about anything, and I have scene INC/DEC, why wouldn't there be preset INC/DEC? Anyway, carry on. I hope you (we) find a way to do this. In any case, the FCB1010 is pretty damn amazing. I will try to think of a way to do it :)

I had a similar issue with the MC 6 back when I was trying it out. The PC scroll always sends one PC# higher or one lower than the current preset in it's memory. It has no way of knowing what preset the receiving unit is on.

For example, I would select preset #10 from the MC 6, press the PC scroll up button and I would get preset #11. Now select a different preset (#20?), either on the front panel, or via MIDI from a laptop running backing tracks, press on the PC scroll up button and I would get preset #12, not #21?

Maybe there is still a bug/issue in the MC 6 with the PC scroll when using a bank higher than number one? Because it should work as long as the current preset number was selected by the MC 6 itself?

Maybe you should move your presets to the first bank of the Axe Fx III (preset 000) and try it there?

I had a similar issue with the MC 6 back when I was trying it out. The PC scroll always sends one PC# higher or one lower than the current preset in it's memory. It has no way of knowing what preset the receiving unit is on.

For example, I would select preset #10 from the MC 6, press the PC scroll up button and I would get preset #11. Now select a different preset (#20?), either on the front panel, or via MIDI from a laptop running backing tracks, press on the PC scroll up button and I would get preset #12, not #21?

Maybe there is still a bug/issue in the MC 6 with the PC scroll when using a bank higher than number one? Because it should work as long as the current preset number was selected by the MC 6 itself?

Maybe you should move your presets to the first bank of the Axe Fx III (preset 000) and try it there?

This won't work - it's not a bank problem, because I stay in the right bank.

The MC6 does not 'know' what preset the III is on so goes off it's own counter, the Midi way for it to know is to connect the Midi out of the III to it, but when you do that - the MC6 changes it's presets at the same time as the III, which is obviously useless.

The MC6 definitely has an internal counter so you can set the PC Scroll Up to kind of work, I send a bank change message on one footswitch, then my PC Scroll Up minimum value is effectively the PC Offset.

The issue is that the PC Scroll Down starts from the end of the current bank, or from the beginning - depending on the initial value set and (and this may be a bug) the PC Scroll Down and Up appear to function independently.

Unless someone can point me to a foot controller that works, it seems to me that there are two solutions -

1. The III offers a PC Increment CC option (just like there is for Scenes)
2. We all wait for the FCx

Because at the moment I'm pretty convinced this doesn't work - the best hope seems to be the FC1010 with the bank size of 0 'hack', if someone can confirm that this works - I'm ordering one!

This is an MC6 issue, not III.
Further my earlier reply Yek, this implies to me you know of a third party foot controller which can do this with the III - please let me know (PM if you like) which one that is

Any MIDI controller with Preset Up/Down functionality, keeping track and performing as master to the III, will do.
As long as you don't change presets on the front panel or in AE III, because that break the MIDI controller's counter.

A simple controller like Tech 21's MIDI Mouse should work. I have one at home but haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight.

I also have the MC6 (Mk I) and haven't gotten around to that either. The Bank issue seems MC6-specific. Maybe @MorningstarFX can chime in?

Any MIDI controller with Preset Up/Down functionality, keeping track and performing as master to the III, will do.
As long as you don't change presets on the front panel or in AE III, because that break the MIDI controller's counter.

A simple controller like Tech 21's MIDI Mouse should work. I have one at home but haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight.

I also have the MC6 (Mk I) and haven't gotten around to that either. The Bank issue seems MC6-specific. Maybe @MorningstarFX can chime in?

Yek - if you did get the chance to try the Midi Mouse, that would be wonderful

Any MIDI controller with Preset Up/Down functionality
Do you happen to know what messages are being sent by this "preset up/down functionality?" Because if we knew, we could program other controllers. All I can find in the Axe are settings for scene up/down. Thanks!

Do you happen to know what messages are being sent by this "preset up/down functionality?" Because if we knew, we could program other controllers. All I can find in the Axe are settings for scene up/down. Thanks!

That's not how it works with a controller that has built-in Preset Up/Down functionality, such as the MIDI Mouse. Those do not require a special setting or command in the III. The III just responds to incoming MIDI PC numbers. The controller is the "master". First you have it send a MIDI PC, i.e. "0", which will load preset "0" on the III. Since the controller already knows that it has send "0", it will send "1" when you press Preset Up. This works well as long as the controller stays in control.

If you have a controller without Preset Up/Down functionality, this won't work. Those controllers would need special commands in the III.

That makes sense - so there are two issues with the MC6 (@MorningstarFX - please shout if I'm wrong, I've emailed your support details):

1. The Scroll Up and Scroll down appear to function independently (meaning there are two counters one per function) - if this was fixed we could work around it
2. The MC6 can't receive the PC number from the III because if it does that - it changes preset itself

If either of those weren't true, my solution would work

Update - I've had an email from Morningstar and they have given me something to check which would mean that point 1 could be 'fixed' (or stopped happening).

There is hope!

Last edited:
Just tested it and it works as described.
Yek

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to do that - may well come back to that.

But - Morningstar came through, I needed to ensure that both up and down were in the same slot - once I did that they updated the same count, which means I have a solution for now.

thanks everyone!

@peteri Sounda like a decent resolution. So are you using a short press for Preset+ and a long press for Preset- (or vise versa)? If not, I’m curious how you’re handling these in the same slot.

Cheera

Lee

Back
Top Bottom