Midi Controller for the Axe-Fx III

Hi, I’m looking for a good midi controller for my axe fx 3, the FC12 is cool but too expensive for me, which do you use anche which do you recommend?
Thank you

Welcome to the board, there are lots of threads on this, try a search. Short list off the top of the head: Voes, Behringer, Ground Control, MorningStar, some Liquidfoot stuff, etc.

Hello Andrea;

I'm using the Keith McMillan Softstep (https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep). It's amazingly configurable.

However, it doesn't connect directly to my AxeFX. Here's how I've got it routed for my MacBook Pro:

Softstep ->
USB port on my Macbook Pro ->
MidiPipe (http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html), running the script attached. Remove the ".txt" extension, as this board doesn't allow ".mipi" files to be attached ->
AxeFx

The MidiPipe script routes incoming Midi data to the AxeFx.

Attachments

• GuitarWingRemap.mipi.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 6
Using BJ-Devices TB-11P with Axe Fx Standard and Axe Fx II. Very nice, robust and easy-to-use midi-controllers.

Your question is somewhat open-ended.

You don't state your budget, nor what features you want (nice to have) and need (must have).

Things like Scene and Channel changes are impossible (or limited) on many.

Things like "syncing" the switch state are very limited.

Without knowing those things it's really hard to make a good suggestion.

The Voes controllers offers alot of functionality for a reasonable price. Pretty happy with my mc-10 mk2. Though I’m sure the Fractal controllers are awesome

I'm loving the Meloaudio Midi Commander and think you would too.
After a recent firmware update, you it can switch scenes with it too.
I highly recommend it.

for the money I don't think you can beat the Behringer FCB 1010. 10 Banks of 10 freely programmable switches plus 2 expression pedals.

So you could have 8 scenes mapped to switches 1 through 8 and two bypass commands on one bank, and then 4 scenes and 5 bypass commands plus a tap tempo on the next. Or 8 scenes and preset up and down on one...

It does feel flimsy, it looks cheap, it's not heavy duty road ready, but if the budget is tight; a no brainer.

You might take a look at the MX-series.

banner.jpg

6, 9, 12 or 18 buttons.

3 Pages. 2 fully programmable, 1 fixed preset page.

Each button is fully programmable. Normal press and Press-and-Hold. 6 commands per button

55 different commands.

3 Expr. pedals inputs.

Syncs with the III: Preset Name, Scene Name, Active Scene, FX Block on/off, FX Block Selected channel, looper, tuner info, tempo blink, ...

Easy to use editor. In just 3 simple test you load a suitable template.

More info on www.voes.be

I use the VOES MX-12 and it works perfectly. It has a really neat software editor which makes assigning the various switches a piece of cake and it just works.. My only gripe is that the actual switches require a very firm 'click' and I find it easy to miss the change if I hit it with anything less that total commitment. I would much prefer 'softer' switches (as on some of the EHX pedals). In my opinion, this also makes it almost impossible to use the switches for tap-tempo (as I find 'click-tempo' impossible). To be fair, I mentioned this to Patrick and he promised to give it some thought for future units, which leads me to my final point which is that Patrick is absolutely first rate in terms of customer service. So, all in all, definitely worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom