MIDI Controller for AXE FX II MK II

Tyler Box

I am looking for the best bang for the buck midi foot board to control my Fractal. Primary functions would be switching presets/Patches, engaging FX loop (on the preset blocks), and preferably a pedalboard with an expression pedal that can control volume. This will primarily for live and bedroom playing. Im open to most price points under 500 dollars.

Behringer FCB1010 with a EurekaProm chip. http://www.eurekasound.com/store

If you're comfortable with opening the foot controller and replacing the eProm chip inside, buy the FCB1010 and EurekaProm chip separately. If you want to just get everything preinstalled it's $270.

Out of the box, the EurekaProm configuration lets you control all of your basic effects blocks, but you can re-configure it so one of the pedals controls the FX Loop block. I recommend watching the videos and reading the manual on the website.

That all being said, I had this same setup and I eventually bought an MFC-101 and it's so much easier to use.

Should easily be able to get a mfc 101 for under $500

By far the best controller as it has 2 way communication with the axe, thus when you change a patch, the status lights for which effects are active or bypassed change to reflect the current state, plus it has a huge LCD showing patch name, which effect you hit etc, and it can be powered with a single Ethernet cable, plus it can allow 4 exp pedals to be hooked up

Better yet, it works natively out of the box without a ton of midi programming required

I use a Behringer with the EurekaPROM as well and I love it. The MFC-101 has a lot more customization, but the way I operate, I wouldn't use that much.

The PROM installation is super easy. Do it yourself and save the few bucks.

Installation of the eureka chip is stupid easy to do. Only skills you require is knowing how to handle a basic screwdriver to remove the bottom for access then poppin in that chip is like putting a battery in a clock. Basically just snaps in. No soldering or anything. I used the FCB1010 with Eureka for some time...for what you want this is a great solution. I'd recommend it.

I would say you can get the FCB, but you can get the Fractal unit (that will require very little setup) for not a lot more. It's worth it. And after a few months you may say 'I should have just bit the bullet then'.

If cash is an issue, I was able to get a Rocktron MIDIMate to work pretty well with it too.

The eProm chip is super easy to install. No soldering.

If your limit is $500, I highly recommend just saving up for the MFC-101 and a nice Expression pedal. That's pretty high and you could probably already get a used MFC and a decent Exp. pedal for $500. I say wait a couple more paychecks and just do that. The interface on the MFC is so easy to navigate and configure and just works. The FCB1010 + EurekaProm takes some time and patience to configure. SOOO glad I upgraded to the MFC and wish I had just done that from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom