MIDI Controller breakout board for accelerating new MIDI hardware designs

Lookin' great! Maybe this is the first step toward something commercial one day...
Thanks!
Yeah could be, I might be able to sell it on Tindie for cheap, if I can find an affordable way to provide the board with the components installed.
lot of smd components there, so even for me (not the first board I design!) it is a bit long to build (still much faster to build a new midi floorboard out of it though so well worth the work) . The I/O's were so easy to carve on the back of the binder : just a rectangular hole!

For now I'm still checking and verifying that all components work reliably, and will test for a longer period of time and also put my scope on it to check that my signals are clean enough to get me the confidence it will always work. The midi is fine but I did implement the same circuit many times before though, same for the led shifters but the multiplexer addition is new and the board is so tiny, so carefully inspecting the results even though I'm confident the large ground zone in the bottom of my PCB will ensure that only a negligible noise can go through:).

Last edited:
New firmware available now handling pedals and improving the pedals display (pedal number now displayed and also auto clearing after 2000ms of inactivity). Make non Teensy boards build properly even if not having optimized IO (do not use digitalWriteFast() in this case):
https://github.com/fab672000/AxeFx3FootController/tree/feature/multitarget
Hey there

Awesome updates to your controller... lol yeah digitalWriteFast() will not work with non teensy .

I had a look at your code for the exp-pedals. You are writing this to the progmem.
question:
Wont the amount of data flowing from the pedal movement ware out the progmem chip very rapidly?
I would not have a solution otherwise, because I did not implement exp-pedal in my program that didnt work for me.

If it is worth it to implement, I could try to add it in my next (teensy) version. That would be great not having 2 x 7 meter cable running from the exp-pedal to the axe but just short cable from the exp-pedal to the pedalboard.

Cheers 🍻

Thanks!
Yeah could be, I might be able to sell it on Tindie for cheap, if I can find an affordable way to provide the board with the components installed.
lot of smd components there, so even for me (not the first board I design!) it is a bit long to build (still much faster to build a new midi floorboard out of it though so well worth the work) . The I/O's were so easy to carve on the back of the binder : just a rectangular hole!

For now I'm still checking and verifying that all components work reliably, and will test for a longer period of time and also put my scope on it to check that my signals are clean enough to get me the confidence it will always work. The midi is fine but I did implement the same circuit many times before though, same for the led shifters but the multiplexer addition is new and the board is so tiny, so carefully inspecting the results even though I'm confident the large ground zone in the bottom of my PCB will ensure that only a negligible noise can go through:).

I had never heard of Tindie, so I had to check it out. This is a world I didn’t know existed. How cool.

Wont the amount of data flowing from the pedal movement ware out the progmem chip very rapidly?
'Au contraire' :)
The prog mem (usually flash mem where code is written) is the program memory is much larger than the RAM typically, especially on original arduinos (which I don't recommend for embedded musical devices but we can do something with them)
https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/variables/utilities/progmem/

Also, pedals worked fine here and I activated 2 of them...
Only one detail is: because I wanted compatibility with my other controller I used cc16 and cc10 to avoid re-configuring the axe when comparing my progress with off the shelf controllers such as my midi commander floor board (which I am going to sell soon enough LOL).

Last edited:
Finally received the rest of the hardware, took this opportunity to fix few leds refresh bugs, then jammed extensively with the unit and floor board today and it seems rock solid, still lot of work on the software to get more features going on now that the hardware seems stable :)

Check this out!
(I do not want preset +/- leds, only scene and loop buttons have leds in my binder implementation but both the software + hardware still support all leds in case others use them all)

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Fixed few little side effect bugs as well as a few enhancements to the looper (which i really did not use before lol) and also added a 15th button feature (tap tempo). I need a quick way to select presets in large banks with only 15 switches so i think I'll revisit the presets soon too.
Also merged most recent changes in the AxeFxControl with my previous fixes:

EDIT: Also just implemented a switch hold manager class that is only used for now for presets auto-repeat, to span the whole presets range in seconds if user keeps the up or down switch pressed! :)

https://github.com/fab672000/AxeFx3FootController
https://github.com/fab672000/AxeFxControl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom