MIDI control and signal chains: AXE FX II mk2 + some analog pedals + G2 +...

PretzelPete

Hello all

I have two key questions I need some advice on.

Preamble
Well I made a bit of a plunge today, as I was able to trade a guitar + cash I had up for sale at a local establishment for an Axe FX II mk2 + Rocktron All Access (predecessor to the Rocktron MIDI Raider, from what I can tell) + SKB 4U case with wheels/telescopic handle. This is my first try of an Axe FX. Note that it's pretty hard to get an Axe FX III down under at the moment, though will consider in the future once supply seems better.

As far as I am concerned at the moment, this cleans out my need for a few overdrives/distortions, looper, perhaps the DD200 delay (though I still have to explore my options), noise gate etc.

So, I've played with the Axe FX; I quite like it. I reckon I want to use the follow pedals from my pedalboard and have them switch in and out.

• Fuzz War
  • Frederick Effects Harmonic Percolator
  • EQD Transmisser
  • Fulltone FatBoost

I may decide to run the Boss RV-500 I have + the DD200 in the SKB case, just MIDI controlled on the Axe FX effects loop.

I have a Gigrig G2 I have been using for years. My idea at the moment (I've only had the Axe for a few hours) is the following:

Signal Chain Option 1: Guitar--> Gigrig G2 {4 pedals listed above} --> Axe Fx II {RV-500, DD-200} in effects loop --> FRFR of some sort.

I am thinking this since it is (a) simple, and (b) the fuzz is the most important for me to be at the front.

The idea is to then control everything via the Rocktron.

However, the more I think about it the more I imagine I should shove the G2 into the effects loop of the AXE FX since I can move that loop around, so that would look like this.

Signal Chain Option 2: Guitar --> Axe FX II [Effects Loop: {Gigrig G2 with RV-500, DD-200 + the other 4 pedals above ] --> FRFR of some sort

Questions

1. How flexible is the Axe FX II with effects loops? At first glance it doesn't look like I can have two in a preset, one that deals with Left and one that deals with Right (essentially acting as two independent effects loops, where I can switch each branch of the left and right chains on and off etc)

2. In terms of MIDI control--I like this Rocktron All Access and it can control my G2, which is a big advantage. However, in terms of space, they both are LARGE. Any tips? I could hide the G2 etc into my SKB rack case, but I probably need to get a larger one for that . . . . I have been consider the RJM Mini-effects Gizmo instead of using the G2.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It is possible to treat the stereo FXLoop as separate left and right chains, but of course the placement in the grid is the same, and turning it off and on is the same.

However, I believe you could put a block (volume or null filter, for example) after the loop on both the the left and right signals, and then use those blocks to engage/bypass the L/R independently (set Bypass Mode to Mute).

I'm sure @Bakerman will be able to point you to some ways to do it. He's a wizard at this kind of thing ;)

Just a comment on your fuzz: the Axe Fx loop is buffered. The fuzz guys here typically put the fuzz before the Axe Fx so it's not buffered. You might want to try before vs in the loop to see what works for you.

It is possible to treat the stereo FXLoop as separate left and right chains, but of course the placement in the grid is the same, and turning it off and on is the same.

However, I believe you could put a block (volume or null filter, for example) after the loop on both the the left and right signals, and then use those blocks to engage/bypass the L/R independently (set Bypass Mode to Mute).

I'm sure @Bakerman will be able to point you to some ways to do it. He's a wizard at this kind of thing ;)

Just a comment on your fuzz: the Axe Fx loop is buffered. The fuzz guys here typically put the fuzz before the Axe Fx so it's not buffered. You might want to try before vs in the loop to see what works for you.

Thanks very much. Good point on the fuzz, so I might need to run the GigRig G2 anyway (which I love for a lot of things) and do all the control from the Rocktron. It's perhaps a bit less portable than I would like, but it's flexible. If I go down this route, I might just keep the Rocktron off my board and use it directly and keep the board somewhere else as I don't really need to see it. Allows me to add my Verellen preamp (which is huge but a lot smaller than the Rocktron) on to the board with the G2.

Back
Top Bottom