Midi Commander

Can it switch Scenes (CC# 34 - Values 0 - 7 for Scene 0 to 8)?

A quick look at the manual would indicate that no, it cannot. It sends only 0 or 127 for controlling effects with MIDI CCs.
You could always use PCs with MAPPING on the FM3, but this is very limited compared to using, say, an FC-6.

Had to add a new edit and very late correction - i.e., removing feet from mouth: - the struck-through lines I simply had wrong and I completely misunderstood the above comment(s). You cannot send a CC AND a modifier from the MIDI Commanders Custom modes (e.g., you cannot send CC# 104 for scene select [again just an example number] and then the scene number say ....scene 5).

Well the comments prior are not accurate. I have MIDI Commander (and a FCB 1010 and an FC 6).

The MIDI Commander has eight (8) usable (programmable) switches and EACH can be programmed to any CC you want including #34 (BTW nothign wrong with CC #34 but you know you can program the FX III Scene Select to any CC 1 to 127 you want in the: Settings -> MIDI/Remote -> Other menu , but you can use #34)

So you can program each of the eight MIDI Commander switches to do: one Scene Select each that is one switch for one scene (1 or 2 or ... 8) . But you have to use one of the two Custom modes of the MIDI Commander.
You COULD ALSO can program a single foot switch to increment the Scenes (one at a time) and one to decrement Scenes (one at a time) again you have to select a MIDI CC for each increment and decrement in the same FX III menu mentioned above. That frees up six (6) switches for other uses (e.g., individual FX or AMP or .. selection)

Note, you cannot change the Custom modes on the MIDI Commander "on the fly" you can only use one mode at a time. If you want the other Custom mode or one of the other modes, you have to do it at BOOT time.

edit update:
forgot to mention my MIDI Commander switches A and B do Scene increment and decrement (set to CC 102 and 103) respectively and Switches E and F do Program Inc. and Dec. (Set to 104 and 105) again respectively - but I almost never change programs (aka presets).

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread but might be useful here too, this was tested on my FM3 but same would apply for AX3.

EF88CA14-C61B-46C0-AD18-E039B9394626.jpeg
Scene and preset control working with Midi Commander after firmware update.

Scenes 1-7 selectable and the D button is set to increase scene selection by 1. Firmware on MC spits out CC14 which you can assign to whatever you like in the FM3 setup->MIDI/Remote menu.

EXP 1 (CC10) and EXP2 (CC16) working as well.

hi mike, and others
is it possible to assign on off (bypass) for effects for switches 1 to 4 and preset change A-D?
i am an old system user, so i would love to have this kind of function

thanks

Forgot to mention my MIDI Commander switches A and B do Scene increment and decrement (set to CC 102 and 103) respectivley and Switches E and F do Program Inc. and Dec. (Set to 104 and 105) again respectively - but I almost never change programs (aka presets).
Hi!

Can I ask HOW you change Presets?? I cannot find what the CC/PC message/mapping/etc is to Preset Increment/Decrement function on my FM3.
(I know it has Scene inc/dec, just not what the CC/PC number to Preset inc/dec is!
Could you help me?

Hi!

Can I ask HOW you change Presets?? I cannot find what the CC/PC message/mapping/etc is to Preset Increment/Decrement function on my FM3.
(I know it has Scene inc/dec, just not what the CC/PC number to Preset inc/dec is!
Could you help me?
You'll need to go to the Midi/Remote:Other menu and set them.

how do I arrange power to the midi commander? is it possible for it to get USB power from the FM3?
and, if I want to be programming the FM3 from my computer, will it be somehow passing editor commands through the USB cable to the midi commander? does any of this matter

how do I arrange power to the midi commander? is it possible for it to get USB power from the FM3?
and, if I want to be programming the FM3 from my computer, will it be somehow passing editor commands through the USB cable to the midi commander? does any of this matter
The USB on the FM3 is not currently enabled to provide power.

Some folks have built custom adapters to pull power from the FASlink jack.

To program the FM3 you need to connect the USB between the FM3 and the computer.

The USB on the FM3 is not currently enabled to provide power.

Some folks have built custom adapters to pull power from the FASlink jack.

To program the FM3 you need to connect the USB between the FM3 and the computer.
I just did this. There are two wires on the Faslink that carry 11.X volts. I went to the dollar store and bought a USB cigarette lighter adapter and took it apart and soldered the two wires to the board inside the adapter. BAM!, you have 5 volts out of the USB side of the adapter.

Hey all:

I've read the threads on this topic, but the explanations I've seen here and on YouTube to get the Commander to work with the FM3 elude me.

I understand this much so far: Setup (E) --> MIDI/Remote --> ?

From there, what do I do? If possible, I'd like to cycle through my presets (only a handful) and choose my scenes.

Any clear advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom