Midi clock thru?

simeon

Axe-Master
i'm trying to figure out if i can pass midi clock arriving at the axe via usb through to the 5 pin midi "thru" port. no dice at the moment. is it possible and is there a setting i need to change to do it? "send realtime sysex" isn't it.

after swapping some cables round (i had it set up wrong), i'm getting a sysex message on the beat. it's not a clock message, but it's tied to tempo. only when connected to the "out" port. no idea what it is. still no clock.
12:37:42.866 From Port 1 SysEx Fractal Audio 7 bytes F0 00 01 74 10 10 F7

Hmmm, didn't know midi clock on usb was a thing. Don't think I'd expect it to get echoed anywhere except usb through, which I'm not sure is a thing either.

Can the Axe send midi clock as midi? Would that help?

The midi ports and USB port do not share any data, unfortunately. I think this has been brought up before as a request.

send real-time sysex is for sending tempo, tuner data, and block info through the midi ports. The block info allows some midi controllers (like RJM or Liquidfoot) to update block states (activate/channel) when a new preset or scene is loaded. But it only sends that data when queried by the midi controller.

(I might be off on details, still waking up)

That's tempo -- can be used by foot controllers to blink an LED for BPM indicator.

ah thank you

i was hoping the midi clock being sent from ableton down the usb cable to the axe fx would also be sent to the midi out, so i could use it to sync another piece of gear, but i guess my sad emoji face is here to stay

The midi ports and USB port do not share any data, unfortunately. I think this has been brought up before as a request.

send real-time sysex is for sending tempo, tuner data, and block info through the midi ports. The block info allows some midi controllers (like RJM or Liquidfoot) to update block states (activate/channel) when a new preset or scene is loaded. But it only sends that data when queried by the midi controller.

(I might be off on details, still waking up)
What a shame too.

As far as I know, the only midi going to Out DIN is what is generated by the Axe Fx itself.

And the only midi going to Thru is what comes in on the the midi In DIN port.

I was trying to do the same thing, send midi from ableton and hoped it would get passed to the midi thru; would so appreciate if there could be midi clock pass thru

Guess you'd need a usb midi interface 2x2, connect the A out channel to the axe and B channel to your other device ?

yeah i guess so. i'm trying to keep the number of boxes down to a minimum. i've already run out of desk space and cable management is a nightmare....!

yeah i guess so. i'm trying to keep the number of boxes down to a minimum. i've already run out of desk space and cable management is a nightmare....!
Yes I know what it is...the midisport is quite tiny but you will add the usb cable one midi in and 2 midi out cables instead of one midi out from the axe fx, sure with all the rest you easily tend to have a kind of spaghetti on the floor

i have a midi interface i can use, but i'm looking at another solution now, which might perform some other functions i need and also reduce the number of boxes needed. (Morningstar MC3)

I tried desperately in 2018 to use midi clock to synchronise my Gordius LG2 instead of having to program timers by trial and error, but never ever managed to get it work, and didn't understand enough midi to see if I could do this with a midi clock generating pedal, which one BTW...
It was for automatically time the shimmer tonal changes for an"Heroes" cover by Tonic. I finished up by creating the sequences directly in the LG2 using the delay commands..

Back
Top Bottom