Midi CC to control Tap Tempo

FiddlerTheDrum

Inspired
I'm trying to use an FC control switch to control tap tempo data both for the Axe Fx 3 and external devices. I've successfully controlled tap tempo on my external device (channel 2).

However, I can't get it to switch the Axe. My Axe is set to Midi Channel 1 (default) and I've set Tap Tempo as CC#1 on the Midi/Remote menu on the face of the Axe. Is what I'm trying even possible? If it is possible, maybe my On Value/Off Value isn't set right for Channel 1 (see screenshot)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 11
The axe fx iii sends sysex messages on pulse of the tap tempo so you could connect axe midi out to external device and have it interpret the tempo from distance between pulses.

I'm guessing the external device you're talking about wouldn't support this though so you'd need a laptop in the middle to convert the sysex to a cc when it detects a change in tempo. Can be done with a microcontroller as well if looking for a fun project 🙂

My chain currently goes Axe Fx Midi Out->Meris Midi I/O->Meris Enzo. I’ve been able to pass tap tempo via CC and PC to switch presets. I’ll have to solder up another midi patch cable when I get time to try out Unix-Guy’s suggestion as I’m one cable short.

You could send midi out to midi in and then send midi thru to your external device... There's a mind bender!
I have a short cable from midi out, to midi in and it works great for sending midi cc's from fc control switches to the axefx3.
No reason it can't go through another device as well.

Back
Top Bottom