Midi Cables For MFC-101 original

Kaihoro1388

So i bought the 7pin midi cable for axe fx 2 and mfc 101 and after using it i realized it doesn't power the mfc. I also just got a 5pin midi cable in the mail. I also have the CAT5 cable. My questions are which ones are the best or preferred for live gigs and also studio use. And whats the difference between them, and also how the best way or most efficient way of powering the mfc is. I tried to fit standard ac 9v from one of my guitar pedals into the mfc 9v and the axe fx 9v and didn't fit either of them.

Did you have the MFC wall wart plugged into back of AxeFx? If so its possible it's a 7 pin cable without all 7 pins wired.

the power adaptor will have to be plugged into the back of the axe fx in order to have phantom power through the midi cable. the plug size is 2.5 mm AC jack.

the power adaptor will have to be plugged into the back of the axe fx in order to have phantom power through the midi cable. the plug size is 2.5 mm AC jack.
Ok. I tried two different boss ac adapters and it didn't fit. I'm guessing the boss ones aren't 2.5mm?

Yup for MFC, the barrel end will plug Into phantom power in on back of AxeFx, then the 7pin will supply power. Just don't connect FASlink or cat5 at same time as using power supply/7 pin or could damage since they can power as well.
d0ftdn9dfnvdf26q4dvn.jpg

Awesome! Do you know where I can get one? Also, what's the difference from the 7 pin and 5 pin. I have both and not sure what to use

As a general rule of thumb, if you don't know the difference between 5 pin, 7 pin, and cat5 I wouldn't go randomly trying to plug stuff in, using random boss adapters etc. Any and all methods are fine on their own (except the boss which won't work) but connect them together and you can easily damage your equipment.

Unplug everything, step back, let us help you figure out what exactly your trying to do, i.e.; why you want to use midi instead of Ethernet, what other gear you need to control etc, and then and only then connect just one method

Can you Power the MFC w/ a GCX audio switcher and, a standard midi cable?
This would have been better as a new post...

But to answer your question, I don't think so. You need to check both manuals to confirm the midi port pins that carry power. I don't think they are the same.

Back
Top Bottom