Midi cable with power outlet

The Rocktron cable will work fine. Or you could plug your 7-9v adapter into the Phantom Power input on the AxeFX2 then simply run a 7 pin midi cable from the Axe MIDI IN to the Voes. I did exactly this with an mc-5jr; the only additional part needed was a 2.1mm->2.5mm barrel plug adapter (below) as I was using a standard DC adapter (9v 500mah) with a 2.1mm plug and the Axe uses a 2.5mm port.

17573.jpg

Hi, so using a DC supply through the back panel did not harm your axe fx ? FAS stated on the forum this connection is only for AC and limited to 500mA.

Hi, so using a DC supply through the back panel did not harm your axe fx ? FAS stated on the forum this connection is only for AC and limited to 500mA.

No problem, it works fine. I did research before doing it and according to the Wiki Axe-FXII MIDI page the maximum load into the phantom power jack is 1A. Either AC or DC works fine according to a post made by Cliff that is linked on that page. I'm afraid I can't post a link but the text is below.
The Axe-Fx II can provide power to a foot controller through a MIDI cable, also known as "MIDI phantom power". This requires a 7-pin MIDI cable and the power supply for the floor controller (to be plugged in at the rear of the Axe-Fx II).

Warning: do not connect a power supply to the phantom power input on the Axe-Fx II that has a load of more than 1A! Such as power supplies that come with a Liquid-Foot 12+ or RJM foot controller.

Fractal Audio:
"2.1mm is the standard for DC. 2.5mm is the standard for AC. The phantom power jack is designed for AC, hence the 2.5mm jack."

The MIDI phantom power connection can be used for DC as well as AC power.

Last edited:
It dosent work here with axe fx 2 the only way i can get the cable to work is if i run the 7 pin to the axe and the 5 pin to MC-10 and then
connect a psu

Works only for 7 pin to 7 pin cable with ps on Axe Fx, or 5/5 with ps on MC. Plse note PS connexion on axe fx is for 2.5x5.5mm plug, ps on MC is for 2.1x5.5mm plug.

I made my own 5pin with power jack to 7pin but you'd have to have a soldering iron and know how to use it. For only a little more money than buying a cable, I made 4 cables, so I had 1 for home and practice and 2 extras.

Here's the list of parts I used ( Scroll down a few lines to "DIY 15ft MIDI Cable 5 to 7 Pin just like a Rocktron MIDI Cable 5 to 7 Pin Part number RDMH900" )

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=FAMC_Liquid_Foot+#Gear_I_Used_For_This_Tutorial

Here's the MIDI Pinouts:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...#MIDI_IN.2FOUT_Pinout_Specs_for_5pin_and_7pin

So sorry to pull an old post. My connections are a bit different as I am not using a Midi Mate and I want to ask before I order anything that wont work or I hook anything up that may damage something. Some of this electronics lingo goes right over my head so I like to ask before doing. I have an AXE Standard. Trying to keep the clutter down and if I can rid myself of the wall wart out front then I would love that. My midi needs are very simple. I use a Tech 21 Midi Moose. The power supply reads input 100-240v 50/60Hz 0.3A. Output DC15V = 0.3A. So the 0.3A is the important number here and under the max allowed on the Fractal which is 1A. Is my understanding correct? If so I want to order the Rocktron 5 to 7 midi cable with PS adapter.

So I would plug my PS to the Midi Moose into my multi plug in the rack. Plug that into the Fractal. Run the 7 pin in the IN on the Fractal and then plug the 5 pin in the OUT of the Midi Moose and then plug the little PS that is attached to the 5 pin into the Midi Moose as well. Correct? Thank you!!!

Correct. Pls note the need of 2.5mm jack. Most phantom power boards are 9-12Vdc, maybe check with FAS if 15Vdc is OK for the std

Back
Top Bottom