MIDI automation: Everything seems to need an offset

MrPond

Experienced
Hi folks!

I'm playing around with MIDI automation (scene and preset selection) and so far, everything works really good.
The only thing that is somehow weird: Every switch needs a little ... "offset".
To get a switch on point, i need to locate the switch right before the "one" like this:

midi.png

And a closer look:

midi-2.png

To be exactly: 1/16 bar with scenes and 1/64 with the whole MIDI block to trigger the preset program change.
With this, the scene switches are on point and the preset metronome matches the DAW's metronome.

All tutorials that i saw don't really do this.
I figured it out by ear - with this, the switch seems to be correct - i just don't understand the required offset.
Any ideas? It works but it looks a bit messy, especially while editing ..

Thanks in advance!
Niklas

Last edited:
That's pretty common with automation, especially when controlling operations that are not instantaneous, like key switching articulations, or loading a preset. If you expect a note on the beat to use the new sound, you'll need to send the event a little in advance of the beat.

Hi what Daw are you using? In cubase you can chose an offset in ms per track.

Ableton. Interesting aspect!

That's pretty common with automation, especially when controlling operations that are not instantaneous, like key switching articulations, or loading a preset. If you expect a note on the beat to use the new sound, you'll need to send the event a little in advance of the beat.

Okay, didn't know that! Interesting. Thank you very much for the explanation :)

Back
Top Bottom