MIDI 2.0

I will check for sure next week as they say that they will be at Winter NAMM...
Thanks for pointing out

it's about time! :)

I hope they update the clunky port and connectors with a backwards compatible adapter and not hang on to the old style

So what is auto-configuration? How would that impact a basic midi controller/computer-as-a-sound-module setup?

We'll see. No details about the h/w interface specification. MIDI 1.0 is slow but extremely cheap and easy to implement. I hope it's not going down the USB route.

If they do agree and develop a perfect system, would still take years for it to be mainstream me thinks!

We'll see. No details about the h/w interface specification. MIDI 1.0 is slow but extremely cheap and easy to implement. I hope it's not going down the USB route.

Dear god, they better not be. The current USB situation makes no sense. USB 3, USB C, Thunderbolt, ect. What the hell were they thinking?

An update every 23 years? Doesn't seem like the USB road to me. The only real problem I've ever had with MIDI is data lag when cc info is too dense.

If they're really making it backward compatible I doubt they'll change the connector type, but if they do they should choose something more road-worthy than USB, for example XLR (just like fractal did with faslink)

XLR is a bit too bulky for some smaller devices or pedals, but the advantage would be its wildly popular. Try finding a midi cable at a gig if you forgot one ...

Well this time they have setup a test lab where prototype implementations of the various manufacturers will get hooked up together to test interoperability. Sounds to me like this is more than just wishful thinking.

As long as it will take for this to actually become a reality, they should go with USB-C connectors and USB 3.1. A handful of companies would make boxes to talk to legacy gear via 5 pin and USB MIDI hosts.

Back
Top Bottom