Microsoft Announces Windows 11: New UI, Productivity and Gaming Features

WOW, they "put the start at the center".

I've only just updated to 10 so it won't be anytime soon for me. In any case, I'm sick of putting money in that dickhead Gate's pocket.
Don't think Gates cares much. I mean once your as rich as he is, WTF! He gives more away than most CEO;s make..............

I will just wait and see. TBH I am not ready to fork over any $$$ either, regardless of who gets it. My stuff does MORE than I need it to do.

Last edited:
I've just run their PC Health Check App and it doesn't like my processor (Intel Core i7-6700HQ), even though it is much more powerful than many processors that are at the compatibility list Even a Pentium Gold or a Celeron are supported! :D

I figured I would run this after you posted about it, just to see. Not sure if My Asus MB supports TPM 2.0, but that is the issue for me. It isn't enabled in any version. I could check the BIOS but won't bother. My MB is fairly (?) recent, I think. It's an Asus Prime 370 A.

Last edited:

maricons.dll forever!! Don't kill it, please!

r2A6l.gif

Last edited:
I've just run their PC Health Check App and it doesn't like my processor (Intel Core i7-6700HQ), even though it is much more powerful than many processors that are at the compatibility list Even a Pentium Gold or a Celeron are supported! :D

View attachment 85338

This is not necessarily about processing power, but likely about hardware security requirements. Check to see if your PC hardware bios' TPM chipset is enabled.

If your PC does not have the TPM module, you may be able to purchase an add-on module.

Also, TPM version 1.2 WILL work with windows 11. the online published minimum says 2.0 but that is recommended, NOT required.

Edit: As stated, I went into my CMOS (MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE) and enable TPM in the security settings. Apparently, this resolved the issue as reported...

Win11_Screenshot 2021-06-26 235914.png

Last edited:
WOW, they "put the start at the center".

I've only just updated to 10 so it won't be anytime soon for me. In any case, I'm sick of putting money in that dickhead Gate's pocket.

What money? You do realize... Windows 11 is a free upgrade.

My 4790k doesn’t even have firmware TPM. The vanilla 4790 does. I hope they start making TPM modules for my motherboard in time, but I’m not holding my breath.

This whole thing sours me on my gaming PC. Might just change to Ubuntu and hope for the best with Proton.

My 4790k doesn’t even have firmware TPM. The vanilla 4790 does. I hope they start making TPM modules for my motherboard in time, but I’m not holding my breath.

This whole thing sours me on my gaming PC. Might just change to Ubuntu and hope for the best with Proton.
I mean, that is an older chip. Weird that the non-k variant has it though. Windows 10 will remain viable (and probably more stable) for quite some time.

I've tried to install it with a crack that bypasses the TPM, but it doesn't work.

This is going to make obsolete around half of the computers in the world. This is a crime against sustainability and environment.

They say they will keep supporting Windows 10 until 2025, though. As far as Cakewalk, the VSTs and Axe-Edit keep working, I will be fine with it.

So, Asus put out a bios update for tpm 2.0. a few weeks ago. Others could do the same if they chose to. Not all, I know.
It's a free upgrade so I will get it. I have more than 1 PC.............

Gates also hasn't been CEO of Microsoft for over 20 years. If he never earned another dime of principal income, he would still make more money on interest alone in one day than most people's total income for a whole year.
I know that, That was not my point. Never said he was CEO either.

My longest running computer only had a lifespan of 7 years before some component would cease to work- usually the power supply or the graphics board dies on my machines.

So the stoppage of Win10 support at the announced date will probably be the same time I need to upgrade the laptop and desktop. By that time, most of the major bugs of the new OS should be worked out and I will probably need to upgrade some software.

They're just basically trying to turn your PC into an XBox. The stuff they put into W10 to make that happen results in a whack-a-mole game of turning off options you never wanted, as well as settings and registry tweaks that you have to re-do after every forced update. If I wasn't a flight sim guy I wouldn't have a PC in my house at all.

iu

Back
Top Bottom