Micing up a real cab for recording

Moshermax9

I know a lot of people here probably just us IRS and record direct, but has anyone used the Axe with a cab and miced it up for recording. I recently did this with my band , and got fantastic results. Also my setup is AxeFx 2 XL+ -> Matrix GT1000FX 2U -> Avatar 1x12

Micing a cab in the studio introduces a lot of variables (type of mic, placement on axis, off axis, proximity, etc.) but I'm not surprised to hear that you are happy with your results. Fractal rocks!

Micing a cab in the studio introduces a lot of variables (type of mic, placement on axis, off axis, proximity, etc.) but I'm not surprised to hear that you are happy with your results. Fractal rocks!

Actually the variables was what was awesome. We literally just used a SM57 Off Center and a Proximity Mic. Was really enjoyable trying different micing techniques in the real space over using an impulse that simulates different micing positioning

Recently I started mic'ing my cab for recording and I'm still split on the results. It doesn't have that convenience factor as recording via USB with the axe, and it's sometimes a little finicky getting the mic placement right, but it has given me some good results. I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort yet though.

By the way, my setup is a mesa triaxis preamp, axe fx 2 for effects only, mesa fifty/fifty power amp, mesa 4x12,and a sm57 mic.

Recently I started mic'ing my cab for recording and I'm still split on the results. It doesn't have that convenience factor as recording via USB with the axe, and it's sometimes a little finicky getting the mic placement right, but it has given me some good results. I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort yet though.

By the way, my setup is a mesa triaxis preamp, axe fx 2 for effects only, mesa fifty/fifty power amp, mesa 4x12,and a sm57 mic.
Well micing a cab is an art on its own. You gotta experiment with different mic placement. So yea its not as convenient, but its worth it in the long run. You get a killer sound , and gives you experience learning how to mic a cab for future recording endeavors.

Don’t forget the Axe FX can capture IR so if you mic up a cab and it sounds good then you can capture it and avoid all the variables next time.

I personally haven’t found it worth micing up in the real world unless I’m looking for a very specific result. Even when using real amps it’s easier, repeatable and usually sounds better to run it through one of the Two Notes boxes.

Back
Top Bottom