Micing an FRFR

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi all,
This question just keeps popping up in my head, so I'm gonna ask even if it may sound silly..

I have an Atomic CLR FRFR connected to my AFX XL. For recording I use direct USB and for live performances I use the Balanced XLR out direct to FOH. So I never need to use a microphone for guitar sound. But still I wonder if it would be too ridiculous or bad sounding if I put a microphone in front of the FRFR, for example, to capture the room sound as is, or as an emergency solution in a live situation.

I cannot try this at home because volume would be a problem. So is there anyone who tried it or does anyone have an idea about how it could be done? i.e. what kind of mic should be used, how should it be positioned etc.

i wouldn't mic the clr. And I can't imagine a scenario where the axefx is sending signal to the clr but not foh. if for some reason the other output from the axefx and the thru on the clr both failed i'd just take the output that is functioning, send that to foh and have the guitar in the foldback.

Are IR's just EQ's, or do they capture the room too?
If they do capture the room, then what's the point of this Mic'ing? You already have the room you want to capture.
If they don't, then maybe micing up a FRFR makes a bit sense, but still, it's a better idea to mic the real cab instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do capture the room, then what's the point of this Mic'ing? You already have the room you want to capture.
If they don't, then maybe micing up a FRFR makes a bit sense, but still, it's a better idea to mic the real cab instead.
They are mic's but I would not say they capture the room. A mic a half inch off the grill of a cab is going to get 0 room just like if you close mic a cab on stage. Some manufacturers in the past of asses room mic's to their libraries when you night them so you can make your own can mixes and mix in some room

Some IRs have multiple mics at various ranges, so you could say they have some "room" to them but not the room you are in! I saw a video where Pete Thorn mic'ed a CLR, and it didn't sound terrible (from about 3 ft) but he was the only one playing.

Honestly can't see a good reason to do it, but I suppose you could if you had to... just understand it would't improve the sound at all, and would more likely degrade it if for nothing other than the ambient bleed.

an IR is more than just EQ

Most FRFR speakers I assume have a woofer and a tweeter as opposed to a single guitar speaker to mic. So I don't know that you could properly mic it.

I've had a few sound men who felt strongly about the need to mic my full-range rig. It usually stems from experience with another modeling system, and finding the direct outs to be unsatisfactory. My cabs are three-way, and it would be challenging to phase-align three mics to get my signal to the board. I always suggest "let's try the XLR direct out from my rig, and if that isn't satisfactory we can discuss using mics". I've never encountered a sound man who wasn't happy with the XLR feed once they tried it. Some day I might, and then I'll let him mic my rig. The sound operator is going to do whatever they feel is best, so, like it or not, it's worth trying to work with them.

Back
Top Bottom