michael thompson clean sound preset

rudomat

Inspired
has anybody ever shared a preset that tried to simulate mt´s incredible clean sound...?
i´d actually also buy such a preset, if anybody´s got to come really close...;-)
(i´d only need 4CM of course...)

in case somebody missed this great video of tim pierce and pete thorn with mt....

is it actually only that H3000 micro pitch shift patch, that makes this clean sound so amazing, or are there some more important fx to it...? (comp of course...but anything else...?)

or has anyone been able to copy that rich rhythm patch H3000 patch...?

Last edited:
wow...i can´t deny, i´m really shocked about the poor resonance...;-)...to be honest - i expected way more...

maybe i should have asked for some super trash metal tone for more resonance..;-(

Can't be we're the only two looking.....
I recently saw a Helix patch claiming the Thompson sound, won't help us

After watching the video again, he's also using the Eclipse and another device in the fx loop of the Boogie amp that I can't remember. He was also talking about compressor pedals too.

It's not a real complicated signal path but probably a bit beyond the AX8 to get it dead on because of the block limitations. The AXE-FX II XL+ may be able to pull it off. The combination of compressors is a big part of the sound as is the H3000. At around the 18:00 minute mark of the video he sort of deconstructs the signal path at Pete's request. All of his "after the amp" time-based effects also de-emphasize bass to give it a very pristine shimmery sound. I've heard this sound many times back when I lived in LA and used to see him at the Baked Potato every Monday night playing with Greg Mathison and also with a 3-piece he did with Jon Robinson on drums.

Here's the order:

Strat
Free The Tone Silky Comp (sort a dyna-comp type compressor)
Tech 21 Boost Comp (used to add presence back in that the first comp takes away)
Mesa Boogie
Loop out to the Pigtronix Echolution (a memory man type of delay)
Loop return to the amp
The mic'd amp signal is fed through a mic pre, not sure if he still uses the Manley pre-amp or not,
Eclipse for a modulated reverb
H3000 (he uses 2 different sounds in the video, with the ebow it's Rich Rhythm, later its the Micro-Pitch at +9/-9 and delay set to tempo

Back when I met him he was running a Marshall for the amp, probably that same one that's on its side in the video. Sometimes he'd have a second one. As they didn't have a loop on them I don't remember if he was just using the delays from the H3000 or if he had a delay in front of the amp.

Anyway, hope that's helpful. Given some of the talents of folks on this forum at building some very amazing patches, I'm sure someone would be able to get it real close. Then you just need to be able to play like Mike.

Your last sentence is off course the most important........
If you have a song in 90BPM what is the calculation to set the delay right?
Is this the same for what you say about modulated reverb?

Your last sentence is off course the most important........
If you have a song in 90BPM what is the calculation to set the delay right?
Is this the same for what you say about modulated reverb?

667 msecs for a quarter note delay.

He talks earlier in the video about using MIDI Beat Clock in conjunction with the Boss Slicer pedal to sync all of his devices that use MIDI. I'd imagine that the modulation in the reverb patch is also sync'd to the same tempo as the delay but that's just a guess on my part. Sometimes random gives you a more interesting result in ambient type tones.

you can automatically set the delay times to always be "right" by using the "tempo" parameter in the delay block instead of dialling in a ms value. just set the tempo on the front panel to whatever your song tempo is and set the tempo parameter in the delay block to whatever subdivision you want for the song. in the tempo screen (on the front panel) you can tell the preset to use it's own tempo (whatever its stored with) or the global tempo

just had a look at the vid. pull up the pitch block and select fixed shifter. set both pitch blocks to zero shift, but +9 and -9 detune. set the tempo parameters to dotted 8ths, turn up the feedback a bit and pan each one left and right. lovely!

one trick you can do is use a compressor in front of the amp and then use the output comp in the amp block as well (which is behind the amp). sounds great.

for the eventide plex verb, you'll need to use the multidelay block. choose the plex shift, dial in the four delay lines with actual ms values (not tempo values) and make them random times between 200 and 500ms. set the decay time to taste.

btw - i have a whole bunch of delay blocks you can download - the link is under the banner in my sig. lots of fun stuff in there.

Simeon, great you joined in. Your delay blocks are indeed great!!!
I'm getting there closer: the fix shifter doe a great job.

In the video at 18:00 the compressor discussion starts: he uses two compressors, the Silky comp to add presence. Do you have any suggestions on using what comp from the axe fx.
Any suggestions for the modulated reverb settings?

Back
Top Bottom