Michael Jackson Guitar Tones?

ConnorGilks

Experienced
Hey! Since I was a little kid I've been completely captivated by Michael Jackson and his music, years down the road I became a guitar player and since getting the AxeFX I've really wanted to nail some of the guitar tones you hear on songs like "I Want You Back" (Jackson 5), "Beat It", "Black Or White", "Billie Jean", you name it. Anyone have either isolated guitar tracks or just information on how to get these tones maybe? What gear was used, what kind of guitar, anything at all really.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Cheers man, I'll start tweaking with that tomorrow night. Love your videos by the way. Any idea on what guitar is a good choice? Strat, Tele, Les Paul? I've seen the This Is It DVD many times and I've heard awesome funk tones from the guitar player who, at the time, is playing a jazz box of some kind (I know right? Amazing).

Is there a comparable preset for that Billie Jean sound on the AX8? If not, can anyone put up some specs for a preset that might get close?

FWIW - Billie Jean, Beat It ( and in fact the entire Thriller album w/ the exception of the solo on Beat It ) was Steve Lukather. So most likely the guitar was either his Valley Arts Robot, or possibly his Tyler Studio Elite ( Puffy ) .... Good Luck !

FWIW - Billie Jean, Beat It ( and in fact the entire Thriller album w/ the exception of the solo on Beat It ) was Steve Lukather. So most likely the guitar was either his Valley Arts Robot, or possibly his Tyler Studio Elite ( Puffy ) .... Good Luck !

David Williams played the guitar on Billie Jean.

Would I be able to access that PopGate '88 preset using FracTool? Convert it over for the AX8? ..... Btw, everything I have read says David Williams was the guitarist on Billie Jean

I'm no expert on this topic but the guy who mixed Thriller seemed to think it was David Williams. I don't have enough posts yet to post links but if you google 'guitar rig Billie Jean" it's one of the first things to come up on a site called gearslutz.com

I'm no expert on this topic but the guy who mixed Thriller seemed to think it was David Williams. I don't have enough posts yet to post links but if you google 'guitar rig Billie Jean" it's one of the first things to come up on a site called gearslutz.com
David Williams is credited on the songs Wanna Be Startin' Something, Baby Be Mine and Thriller. My guess is there was too much coke powder flying around at the time to get all the players per song notes correct.

David Williams did the clean funky parts like Billie Jean and PYT, Wanna Be Starting Something etc

Luke played rhythm on Beat It, EVH the solo obvs, and Luke did play some other parts across the album, far as I know.

David Williams was so amazing at compressed pop funk stuff. Sadly he died about 5 years ago. RIP

probably slash tone on black and white

Slash solo on Give in to me is amazing!

David Williams is credited on the songs Wanna Be Startin' Something, Baby Be Mine and Thriller. My guess is there was too much coke powder flying around at the time to get all the players per song notes correct.

Yes! At least this is the way it was credited...aside the song notes the musical notes are right LOL!
Beat it was Eddie on solo and rythm guitars shared by Lukather and Paul Jackson Jr

The guitars credited on thriller album:
Eddie VH – guitar solo on "Beat It"
Paul Jackson Jr - (Beat it, P.Y.T. and The lady in my life)
Steve Lukather - (The girl is mine, Beat it and Human nature)
Dean Parks - (The girl is mine and Billie jean)
David Williams - (Wanna be startin' something, Baby be mine and Thriller)

The credit mess on Michael albums is notorious, here you have some interesting points about songwriting credits:
http://superiorshit.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/who-really-wrote-michael-jacksons.html

Last edited:
I very well could have been Dean on Billie Jean but that clean guitar part has David Williams signature sound on it.

Like I said before, who knows? If you've ever been to a studio session and had to wade thru a sea of beer bottles, or make your way thru a coke blizzard, you wouldn't be surprised to see the track notes messed up.

Back
Top Bottom