Mic vs no mic sim w/ cab sim

bluesdoc

Inspired
If I set my mic sim on None, does that more closely replicate hearing a cab in a room? If I'm standing in front of my FRFR, wouldn't no mic sim be more realistic? It seems that if I do that, I have to go back and alter my amp eq, etc to get the best sound. The choices and numbers of variables can be overwhelming at times.. :?

jon

bluesdoc said:
If I set my mic sim on None, does that more closely replicate hearing a cab in a room? If I'm standing in front of my FRFR, wouldn't no mic sim be more realistic? It seems that if I do that, I have to go back and alter my amp eq, etc to get the best sound. The choices and numbers of variables can be overwhelming at times.. :?

jon

You will not get coloration of a mic (the null mic is an earthwork reference mic used to capture the cab impulses), but it is still close miced. Therefore, it still will not be like standing in front of your cab. That is what Jay made his custom cabs for.

OK, time to learn how to get and use Jay's stuff...

Should I just do a search of the old forum to find out how to do this? Or do you have a link for me?

jon

bluesdoc said:
OK, time to learn how to get and use Jay's stuff...

Should I just do a search of the old forum to find out how to do this? Or do you have a link for me?

jon

There is a whole forum here dedicated to it under user cabs and IRs

The wiki has a plethora of information as well.

Do a search on the wiki how to upload cabinets

OK, thanks Jay and jj. I have my homework cut out for me.

This whole thing came up because, after listening to nothing but my patches through FRFRs, I decided to fire up my dumble type 2 clone and run it through my 1 12 scumback, which had been a tonal touchstone for me in the past. I then A/B'd the two rigs. I could get very similar textures, but the tonal balance was impossible to replicate (though when I ran the AF to a ss amp to the same cab, it was much closer, so I figured I needed to address the cab modeling). I spent hours eq'ing my brains out and gave up exhausted. I hope to get closer with Jay's stuff.

jon

OK, I think I made a dent in it. I downloaded a couple of Jay's IRs to Cab 1 and Cab 2, but they're MUCH quieter than the ones that come with the AF. Have I left something out??

jon

bluesdoc said:
OK, I think I made a dent in it. I downloaded a couple of Jay's IRs to Cab 1 and Cab 2, but they're MUCH quieter than the ones that come with the AF. Have I left something out??

jon
Funny, they should be 6 dB louder.

scarr said:
bluesdoc said:

jon
Funny, they should be 6 dB louder.
Nope. They have all been revised using the current version of AlbertA's conversion utility, which uses the same normalization method Cliff used for his. The ones I have in my Axe-Fx are very similar in level to the most recent addition to the factory IRs. Idunno about the ones I haven't tried myself, but I would expect them to be similar in level to all the others.

I'm clearly doing something very wrong. They sound very quiet and un-dynamic. I downloaded the cab files to a folder in the editor. I sent those files to user cabs. Now, I did send A (of a two part IR) to User 1 and then B to user one. Perhaps that's what's wrong?? Do I send A to cab 1 and B to cab 2 and just use them together?

Sorry for the idiocy. I'm a newbie babe in the woods with this stuff. I'd be happy to walk anyone through digital flexor tendon repair procedures if needed.... ;)

jon

Well, they won't be dynamic. None of the cabs are, but that's ok, they don't have to be.

You need to delay the second half of the IR for it to work properly. See Jay's sticky about his IR's at the top of this forum for instructions on how to work with them.

Jay,
Thanks for the correction. I didn't know AlbertA's utility had been changed.

bluesdoc said:
Now, I did send A (of a two part IR) to User 1 and then B to user one. Perhaps that's what's wrong??
Yes, that's wrong.

Do I send A to cab 1 and B to cab 2 and just use them together?
You can't use 1024-point IRs unless you've set up a signal path specifically for that purpose. The required setup is shown in the sticky at the top of this forum. However, I recommend that you forget all that and just try 512-point IRs until later on. All of my IRs are on Axechange in 512-point versions (like the factory ones) as well.

Back
Top Bottom