mic type: Null vs none?

vondano

Inspired
ok, sorry if i missed that,

null clearly has more bass than none... which one am i suppose to use with IR including a mic (like the ultra res ones...)

and what is null or none?

what is the point of both!?

thanks for any infos!

p.s. sorry for awful english... not my main language!

If you use an IR Mix with included Mic...Set it to none, if you want to increase the proximity effect of this IR Set to Null and turn it on by taste....

Null is no mic selected,but you have control over proximity, none has no proximity adjustment

ok, so none is suppose to have the same sound has null but with a fixed proximity setting? did i get this right?

so, i guess we could say the "real" sound of an IR taken with a mic would be "none" then? right? (since "null'' can vary the sound with the proximity setting...)

This (null vs none) confuses me too. Are the mix irs from OH (and the ones coming from Fractal) intended to be used with mics set to "none," and what is "null" set out to do, in laymans terms? Emulating distance btw mic and cab? Isn't the basic idea with the mix irs that one has miced speakes with the effects of distance etc in mind anyhow?

The mic modeling in the Cab block IIRC does use an impulse response to model specific microphones. It ends up being a "color" or sophisticated EQ applied to the audio.

In that regard, you really can pick whatever you want if you think it sounds good.

The more recent IR's from FAS and OH are more "mix" ready. They have the microphone and entire signal chain "baked in". For these newer IR's the recommendation is set the mic to "None". But hey if you pick a mic and it sounds good... no worries... that's what the parameter is there for... for you to experiment with and get a sound you like.

The Null mic was recently added. The Null mic adds no coloration but does activate the proximity control. The proximity control has no effect when the mic is set to None.

Proximity effects are bass boosts associated with microphone distance to the source... microphones with proximity effects will exhibit a bass boost the closer they get to the source.

I'm not sure how the Null mic + proximity is implemented in the AxeFx though? Maybe just an EQ?

The default proximity seems to be 5. When you switch to Null mic, you can definitely hear a bass boost with the proximity set to 5.

Maybe a better name for "Null" would be "Flat" and instead of "None" would be "IR Only" to make it clearer what is going on. I assume that "Null" with 0 Proximity is virtually the same as "None" but that Cliff left "None" for backwards compatibility and also maybe so that CPU usage stays the same if the mic simulation and proximity code change the CPU usage even ever so slightly.

Except null is only flat if it's set to 0. It's just one more way to eq things, really. Say you have an IR that's aaaaalmost there, but it needs a bit more or less low end; you just nudge the proximity a little bit and you're there without the need for a eq block or whatever.

Except null is only flat if it's set to 0. It's just one more way to eq things, really. Say you have an IR that's aaaaalmost there, but it needs a bit more or less low end; you just nudge the proximity a little bit and you're there without the need for a eq block or whatever.

I have a feeling the implementation of the proximity setting has something do with IR convolution. That would explain why a "Null" mic IR is needed to enable proximity vs. the proximity control just being an EQ.

If it were just an EQ, it could work with mic set to None.

I have a feeling the implementation of the proximity setting has something do with IR convolution. That would explain why a "Null" mic IR is needed to enable proximity vs. the proximity control just being an EQ.

I think you're onto something. Probably "None" bypasses convolution processing altogether and "Null" is a dirac impulse.

Whatever it is null mic is my new favorite with adjusting proximity between 2-3.5. I'm on vacation and have my guitar, II, and small powered PC speakers ( yes taking all this with on vacation is mandatory and POs the wife ). I cannot wait to get back to my EVs to hear what FW13 and UltraRes truly brings since I updated from 12.03... Even on the PC speakers using there is just so much bite, every string rings, the notes just jump and omg the palm muting is finally palm muting. PMs have always been a bit of a sore spot for me that could never get quite right when playing and now they are just there BAM!

Switching some presets I had to "null" that were previously set to "none", increased the low end and also increased the CPU usage by 2.

Regardless of that, it's still just another way to eq things.

Maybe a better name for "Null" would be "Flat" and instead of "None" would be "IR Only" to make it clearer what is going on. I assume that "Null" with 0 Proximity is virtually the same as "None" but that Cliff left "None" for backwards compatibility and also maybe so that CPU usage stays the same if the mic simulation and proximity code change the CPU usage even ever so slightly.

This .... If you put null you have to adjust to zero ... Then scrolling to ear the proximity effect

As Cliff stated in the thread .... There is not negative values for proximity effect so no possibility to put this in "neutral ?! " position at 5.0

Back
Top Bottom