Mic Type Not Available in the AX8???

ssmorga78

Experienced
So, this was brought up in another thread and in the interest of not HiJacking that thread, I thought I would create a new one to get the skinny on the situation.

@Joe Rogers stated that selecting Mic Type in the Cabinet Block was not available in the AX8. He said that it was wrongly left in the AX8 Edit program, but would be removed with the next release. However, it states in the Owners Manual that you can select this in the AX8 itself and it's in the Cab Block Menu on the AX8.

I know that I have played with this on the AX8 itself since I have received it and know that I have heard differences when I select different Mic Types. So.....is the modeling there or is it not? Also, if the individual models are not available, what about the Null option? Does that mean it is not available either?

Can @Admin M@ or @Joe Rogers or anyone else at Fractal clarify all of that for me?

So, this was brought up in another thread and in the interest of not HiJacking that thread, I thought I would create a new one to get the skinny on the situation.

@Joe Rogers stated that selecting Mic Type in the Cabinet Block was not available in the AX8. He said that it was wrongly left in the AX8 Edit program, but would be removed with the next release. However, it states in the Owners Manual that you can select this in the AX8 itself and it's in the Cab Block Menu on the AX8.

I know that I have played with this on the AX8 itself since I have received it and know that I have heard differences when I select different Mic Types. So.....is the modeling there or is it not? Also, if the individual models are not available, what about the Null option? Does that mean it is not available either?

Can @Admin M@ or @Joe Rogers or anyone else at Fractal clarify all of that for me?
While the ability to change the mic type has been in the firmware/Editor, the code to actually process the MIC modeling has never been there.

Does that mean that the Null option doesn't work either?
When you currently set the mic type to NULL, all you are doing is enabling PROXIMITY. We will change the interface so there is a PROXIMITY On/Off switch. So, the operation of your cabinet will be no different than it is now.

Yeah. I found this Cliff's comments: "If I were to design a Cab block today I wouldn't even include a Mic parameter. I NEVER use Mic simulation anymore. I simply find an IR I like and EQ as desired." So it is clear why not include a Mic in the AX8. But manual, parameters in AX8-Edit and/or in the unit are sometimes confusing (add to this Speaker size parameter :)

While you're at it, please update the AX8 Manual as well, as it definitely lists mic selection as an available option, along with all the various mics available.

What does the AX8 / Cab-Lab integration look like? Can I audition cab mixes in real time and/or use the scratchpads? I realize that it would require the use of an external audio interface.

Some the factory cabs are very clearly listed as to which mic was used in the capture and some make no mention of it Axe Edit or in the Axe FX's interface. I checked the Wiki and when mics are not listed in the IR's name what should one assume?

Wow. I use mic sims when I use factory cabs that are not mixed.

Chris although the ax is not an Axe. The manual would lead us to think mics are there. Not trying to hijack this thread but as I posted in my thread guess I can't swap Preset's locations from the front panel either. Seems like carrying around a netbook is a must

The proximity effect is useful. A simple switch to engage that, and then select the amount, will suffice.

One relatively simple crease that needs ironed out. No big deal. I haven't touched the mic sims in ages.

Honestly, prior to reading this thread, I didn't even realize it wasn't there. I did use it in the Axe Fx and think it might be useful but apparently I have come to rely on cabs and EQ as I haven't even looked for a mic adjustment in the AX8. Ultimately that's a compliment to the FAS guys. :)

This had me confused as well, as I was playing with these yesterday. I did however notice a difference in the mic options...I think... :p
Turning mic sim off reduced a lot of boom.

I travel with a surface pro 3 it's like a iPad with windows and usb works great for 500.00

Most IRs today have the mic baked in...

Technically EVERY speaker IR has a mic baked in. How else would one capture a speaker?

In the olden days (2007-2008?) lots of effort was made to capture IRs with reference mics like Earthworks, the goal being accuracy and not 'color'. The idea being that you'd end up with the most transparent speaker IR and then choose which mic emulation to pair with it. That whole concept has kind of gone away in favor of IRs shot with colorful mics\pres. My mic option has been set to NULL since 2009 or so.

So why do we hear the difference when enabling mic/changing the type?
The MIC option simply ENABLES/DISABLES Proximity. This feature effectively adjusts the low-end response of the Cabinet. In the new firmware, MIC will be replaced with PROXIMITY FX - ENABLE/DISABLE. Please note this change does not effect the Cabinet algorithm at all. It simply corrects the UI interaction.

One thing I miss that's in my XL is the mic preamp emulation in the cab block,... this might be a deal breaker for me plus being so under powered...still playing with this unit

Back
Top Bottom