Mic Preferences

Mic preference?

• Total voters

DaveP

Inspired
I used to leave the MIC option off when using the cab sims but recently discovered how much they add to the feel of the cabinet.
The one I have found to be the best overall mic is the R121 COND. My second choice would be the RE16 and the 57.
Just wondering what everyone else prefers.

R121 primarily
RE16 on some
SM58 on quite a few (I like it better than the SM57 for what ever reason)

DaveP said:
I used to leave the MIC option off when using the cab sims

+1.

Pre 6, I never used them. They seem to add color to the new cabs in a pleasing way now. I like the Rs and the U87.

That's funny. Last night I was playing around with the different mic sims and tried the R121 and thought it sounded best (I tend to use no mic most of the time going through the QSC1221i).

Wow I'm suprised by the results here.

For me 90% of the time it's the NO MIC (where is that option? I can't vote!)

Sometimes I'll use the 57 if I need a "skinnier" sound with some added "grit" and sometimes I'll use
the R121 if I want more "fat" in the tone.

;)

My favorite guitar amp mic is the Coles 4038. Perhaps it will be included in the future.

If you guys like the R-121 Royer....the Coles is even better.

none or the R121. Actually what works really well for me is to use the same cab twice, one set to none and the other with the R121. That way I seem to get best of both worlds. Most of my patches, even with two different cabs use these settings...

Strange enough, I didn't check what mic I chose until a few minutes ago. When I made the preset, I just scrolled through each one and stopped at the one that gave me the most clarity and punch. Turns out to be the R121 as well.

Pre 6.0 I didn't like mics all that much and was happy when "None" option was added. (Yes I own my AFX for over a year now) :shock:

But after 6.0 was introduced I actually enjoy mic models and mix and match mic/None options. Mic adds a lot of character now. I enjoy SM58, RE16 and 609 from time to time. The least favorite of mine is 421 it seems to make any cab "small" and tiny sounding, could never find any use for it.

Mik.

mik said:
The least favorite of mine is 421 it seems to make any cab "small" and tiny sounding, could never find any use for it.

Mik.

Hmm... it comes handy when the power cords over shadow the lead guitar.
Slap on the 421 and the power cords move to the background instantly.

:D

Scott Peterson said:
You forgot "None".

I use that and/or the 121. Done.

When creating the poll it said 10 was the limit. So 10 mic's didn't leave room the the 11th none option.

Poll options:
Place each option on a new line. You may enter up to 10 options.

Very interesting results. Seems we pretty much have a concensus on the R121 and some mics are not used at all.

A lot depends on the amp model, cab model, guitar, pickups and style of music. The heavier, in your face tones with Marshall-type amps and LP-style guitars, and with higher gain amps, the R121 is great. Cleans and more open Fender-y sounds, the U87 or 67. Small tweedy type sounds, a 57. Too hard to pick just 3 :|

Lol )) I play lead may be that's why, :lol:

Mik.

AndrewSimon said:
mik said:
The least favorite of mine is 421 it seems to make any cab "small" and tiny sounding, could never find any use for it.

Mik.

Hmm... it comes handy when the power cords over shadow the lead guitar.
Slap on the 421 and the power cords move to the background instantly.

:D

I just spend some time just noodling away with the new hires cabs and the mic models and have to say that the U87 works really nice as well now.

Back
Top Bottom