Mic preamp for singing through Axe-Fx?

Sebastian

Power User
Hi all,

I want to add a mic preamp to my rig in order to put vocals through my Axe-Fx III.
It would be nice to hear some recommendations or thoughts on the subject.

My needs:
- It's intended for rehearsal and some day also live use. No recording functions needed on the preamp. Vice versa that means it has to work stand-alone, without a computer (if it turns out an interface would be the best solution).
- Routing will be simple: mic -> preamp -> Axe-Fx -> active monitor or PA
- single input channel is sufficient
- should be able to provide 48V
- needs to be rackmountable and 1U height

As I said, I'd appreciate any input here; equipment suggestions would be great.

Cheers,
Seb

I have a little Art box, cost like $30 or so, sounds good to me.

I don’t know if my singing is worthy of a $3000 mic pre l

Thanks for the responses!

Behringer MIC2200

Do you have personal, long-term experience with it?
I'm not confident about Behringer, even if it's "only" for rehearsal space purposes.
That said, their midi foot controller never let me down, but it was not part of the signal (sound) chain ;-)
As my drummer is looking into providing backing vocals, too, I stumbled over the MIC2200, it being two channels. It would be a nice solution until we decide going for a proper mixing desk and PA solution.

I have a little Art box, cost like $30 or so, sounds good to me.

I don’t know if my singing is worthy of a $3000 mic pre l

My singing surely is not worthy - yet :-D
FWIW, I bought the ART box, too, for the time being, as I got several mic's from a friend and another Sennheiser I bought to try out at rehearsal. So I needed a preamp quickly and it seems for my humble application and its price you can't go wrong with the ART.
I'm deciding on the mic and then I'll see how's it working out with my singing, putting it through the A-Fx and so on. After that I can look at more costly preamps.

@ M@: thanks, I'll keep your recommendations in mind!

Get a Rolls MP13
Any reason to prefer the Rolls tonthe ART? The latter seems to be the better deal, not only regarding the price.

UA 6176. Plenty used on eBay.

Thanks, but for now I want to stick to 1U devices, these are 2U.

As it's being discussed to have the Axe-Fx's inputs assigned more flexable to the USB audio lanes, I might even go for an 8 channel preamp and use the Axe-Fx's interface capabilities to its fullest :confused::)

I just tried out a golden age pre73 at the studio. It's a Neve clone. Sounds substantially better than going direct into the mackie board.

Any reason to prefer the Rolls tonthe ART? The latter seems to be the better deal, not only regarding the price.

Thanks, but for now I want to stick to 1U devices, these are 2U.

As it's being discussed to have the Axe-Fx's inputs assigned more flexable to the USB audio lanes, I might even go for an 8 channel preamp and use the Axe-Fx's interface capabilities to its fullest :confused::)

It's what Cliff suggested

Back
Top Bottom