Mic Pre(s) with the Axe Fx II? Recommended?

DFauvre

Inspired
I have an amazing sounding MA5 mic pre for a lunchbox (sounds like a 70s Neve).

If I am recording guitar through through the Axe FX, should I use it? Where in the chain? Before the guitar input? Or after from the stereo outs? Can't use after if using the USB...

Does anyone use a mic pre (is it needed?) with the Axe FX II?

Is it recommended for pro recording?

If using a mic pre...I assume I would need 2 (for stereo) and they would need to go AFTER the Axe FX II, from the rear outputs and > Duet> iMac> Logic.

Yes?

Recommending please...recording a full album with producer in 3 weeks. :)

Thanks!!!

You don't need a mic pre to record.

A mic pre can be handy to capture an IR.

We used the Axe balanced out into the line in of a Universal Audio 2-610 tube preamp, also using its EQ for a slight high boost. Sounded nice and addef a bit to the sound of the Axe. Running the line out of the Ace into the MA5's line in is def wotärth trying.

I had once placed a Great River ME-1NV in the effects loop of my Ultra, after the Cab.
I thought it sounded great, it added the pre's "color". It sounded fine without it too.

There's no law that says you can't. So try it, if you like it, great!
If not, unplug it and move on.
Don't listen to if you can or can't, only thing that matters is how 'you' like it.

It does make one wonder however, just how much of a pre is captured in an IR. I guess it really depends on what IR and by whom.

Worse case, it didn't work out for you, no real lose

I once ran my Axe-fx II through my ISA One just to see what happened. I enjoyed the sound. Post-FW 10 though, I don't really see a point. But hey - give it a shot and see what you think. That's part of the glory of recording. It's your gig!

Mic pres are for boosting mics to line levels. The AXE-FX is line level. If the mic pre has a pad for attenuation, you could drop the input level and see what it sounds like. I really see no need.

Back
Top Bottom