Mic options in the cab block

The mic options are mostly legacy. I never use them but if we took them out there would surely be much protestation.

I can understand that protest, there may be fans of this coloring as a filter to tame a wild cab in an unique way...and on the other hand NULL choice is a must!
There's some superb Axechange presets with this option ON
Please don't remove things if not's necessary, the more options: the better!

Last edited:
With that thinking, you can never remove features. I'd say, give people a month's warning, then do whatever you want. If people trust you to write the software in the first place, then they should believe you when you say a feature is no longer needed, .

That's a really bad way to look at it. If it was moved out of the way but still available people might understand then it would just naturally phase out of use.
At this point though it's there and just leaving it there isn't hurting anyone or anything. Maybe at most they should be identified as "Legacy features" kinda like what Guitar Rig 4 did with there Version 3 models.
That alone says to the user "hey it's here....but we kinda don't do that anymore"

People found out that you can get a more accurate capture with a cab and an SM57 than you can get by applying an SM57 "flavor" to a cab. There's more to a mic's sound than just its response curve.

What people prefer is based on the quality both ways have reached until today. For now a simple IR is better. That doesn't mean that a modeling approach could not become better. I've read some very positve comments about the Two Notes Torpedo gear, where you can virtually move mics around, but I've never tried one of their systems myself. I wonder how good they are.

I've read some very positve comments about the Two Notes Torpedo gear, where you can virtually move mics around...
Essentially, that applies a varying EQ to the IR. But it doesn't reproduce the nuances you get when the sound from different parts of a speaker hit different parts of a microphone's diaphragm at different times. With today's hardware, the only accurate way to do that with acceptable latency is to apply the mic sound doing capture, using a real mic.

Essentially, that applies a varying EQ to the IR. But it doesn't reproduce the nuances you get when the sound from different parts of a speaker hit different parts of a microphone's diaphragm at different times. With today's hardware, the only accurate way to do that with acceptable latency is to apply the mic sound doing capture, using a real mic.

If you had a bunch of IR's from the same capture session, they could be organized on disk in a way that would let the GUI present them as "moving the mic", or "switching the mic".

Underneath it would just load in a new IR representing the new mic position or new mic type on the same cab.

What people prefer is based on the quality both ways have reached until today. For now a simple IR is better. That doesn't mean that a modeling approach could not become better. I've read some very positve comments about the Two Notes Torpedo gear, where you can virtually move mics around, but I've never tried one of their systems myself. I wonder how good they are.
I have a Torpedo Cab. Since the first time, I tried loading a 3rd party IR, I never used the modeling feature. It sounds OK, and it is compelling, but real IRs are just better. They have more detail and sound more 3dimensional.

Back
Top Bottom