Closed Mic modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why take it away???? if you dont want to use it..... Then guess what.... Dont. Simple.
Because it's extra code that has to be implemented and maintained. It wasn't "taken away" because it never existed on the Axe Fx III...

Mate, 85% of the parameters in the Axe FX are not "the highest level of realism" Look through any of the available parameter pages in the amp block.
How do you figure that?

Are you serious?
Extremely. If you don't think the various amp block parameters are authentic, then you must not consider the amp modeling authentic. The parameters give you the ability to fine tune that.
How do you figure that?
You are making the assumption that Axe Fx II code is the same as Axe Fx III code.

It may be easy to convert or it may not. You don't know...

Also, I don't think the AX-8 has mic sims, either, although I might be wrong.

Reactions: Ole
The III uses different DSP hardware. Everything that gets ported needs to be rewritten.

Extremely. If you don't think the various amp block parameters are authentic, then you must not consider the amp modeling authentic. The parameters give you the ability to fine tune that.
What Marshall amp or any amp for that matter, that you go into the store and buy, has physical control knobs to allow you to tweek things like Triode plate frequency....Tone location..... B time constant.....
Should I go on..... Ok then...
Transformer high frequency...... erm off the top of my head.... Transformer grind..... Motor time constant.

then you must not consider the amp modeling authentic
You are off on a tangent here.... Way off, please dont assume things for me I can do that myself thank you.

It may be easy to convert or it may not. You don't know...
Your right, but neither do you....Unless you work for Fractal? in which case great, thanks for letting us know, my guess is though you dont. So why state things like this
Because it's extra code that has to be implemented and maintained

C++ is C++, rebuild
Is Axe-Fx code written in C++? I’m not privy to what language Fractal uses. But in the past, when I’ve had to make optimal real-time use of a processor, I had to use Assembly language specific to that processor.

Is Axe-Fx code written in C++? I’m not privy to what language Fractal uses. But in the past, when I’ve had to make optimal real-time use of a processor, I had to use Assembly language specific to that processor.
Probably
Assembly can be mixed with C++ in specific cases, yes

What Marshall amp or any amp for that matter, that you go into the store and buy, has physical control knobs to allow you to tweek things like Triode plate frequency....Tone location..... B time constant.....
Transformer high frequency...... erm off the top of my head.... Transformer grind..... Motor time constant.

You are off on a tangent here.... Way off, please dont assume things for me I can do that myself thank you.

Your right, but neither do you....Unless you work for Fractal? in which case great, thanks for letting us know, my guess is though you dont. So why state things like this
I honestly don't have the energy to argue any of this.

Believe what you want... I'm out.

Also, I don't think the AX-8 has mic sims, either, although I might be wrong.

You are correct. Although, the AX8 also doesn't have the preamp in the cab block and a bunch of other things, so who cares what the AX8 has? LOL
At any rate, I get your point. Anyone who's been paying attention would have known the AxeIII wouldn't have any mic modelling based on statements that came out when the AX8 was released. Hell, I'm surprised they haven't gotten rid of the room parameters yet!

Austin

Last edited:

Those parameters can be tweaked on real amplifiers if you have a soldering iron and the knowledge and experience necessary to service and modify tube amps; most guitar players have no idea how to do this, and furthermore it can be life threatening to play around with some of these things in a real amp.

Those parameters can be tweaked on real amplifiers if you have a soldering iron and the knowledge and experience necessary to service and modify tube amps; most guitar players have no idea how to do this, and furthermore it can be life threatening to play around with some of these things in a real amp.
You beat me to it. All those things are the highest level of realism, even if amps don't have knobs for them. People pay big money, and wait for months, to have their amps modded in ways that the Axe can do for free in a few seconds with a parameter tweak.

Those parameters can be tweaked on real amplifiers if you have a soldering iron and the knowledge and experience necessary to service and modify tube amps; most guitar players have no idea how to do this, and furthermore it can be life threatening to play around with some of these things in a real amp
You beat me to it. All those things are the highest level of realism, even if amps don't have knobs for them. People pay big money, and wait for months, to have their amps modded in ways that the Axe can do for free in a few seconds with a parameter tweak

Exactly.... We may be on the same page after all - I dunno.
But ultimately they are virtual parameters/tone shaper tools of a virtual amp.
For the benefit of anyone joining this thread half way through, I love these virtual parameters, I would like to see more of the same.
Actually I expected the III to have the same if not much more than the tone shaping parameters of the model which it precedes. Honestly as far as expectations go, and FWIW I don’t see anything unreasonable in that. Maybe you do? But that then is where we must differ.
Which in my opinion to get back to the op and my op, it’s the same as a virtual mic capturing the sound of a virtual cab which has already been microphone captured if you like (IR). The same as your soldering iron theory, you could if you wish also do this in reality, by say, miking your CLR up with a SM57 and using that as your source signal. And yes - To quote ML Sound Lab may not be heading towards realism. But who cares? It’s great tone shaping facility to have and use. The same as all of the virtual parameters we currently have available. If we where to head down the absolute realism route, then the amp block for example in future may only have gain bass mid And treble parameters available for tweaking (or the exact controls of the real deal) And I don’t think that’s is good at all.

Guys! Just wanted to share my process in making presets. At first I was bummed that I didn't see the mic emulation, but this is so much better and clearer I think.

Go to this link....
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

Ctrl + F and type the cab you like, or maybe even amp (i.e. "tweed deluxe"), then go through the different sm57, 121, 160, etc IR's. Pick the best sounding ones by themselves, and then use the four cab blend feature, and make your own mix. It's awesome!!!! I definitely prefer it to the mic modeling tab in the Axe 2 since this isn't really mic modeling, it's an actual mic IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom