Mic for horn section: Rode NT1 or ?

I've always used Sennheiser MD421's or EV RE20's on live horns. Both are dynamics but either one will work for saxes, trombones, trumpets, tuba, french horn, etc.

Trumpet and soprano sax can get VERY strident using SDC mics. Condensers in general are tricky on trumpet and soprano. Much like the violin / fiddle, its a harsh set of overtones.

The 421's and RE20's on the other hand, are basically setup and play. Their on axis response just works as is. Be sure to set the 421 to "M" not "S" mode.

i was was watching Warren Haynes live. They were using RE20s on individual horns, they sounded fantastic.

For ease of mixing, for sharp sound sources where you want mix ready signals with no EQ, use a mellow mic.

I would go with the RE20 or 421.

For single horns I really like an MD421 or RE20 too but Yek is asking about a horn section (probably 2 maybe sometimes more? ppp?) so I'd definitly choose a condenser. If it's within a really loud band you should think about close micing individually, otherwise a SDC or if adequate (not too loud, not so many other sources close-by to pick up) a LDC.
And of course if you can - try the mics, order 2 contestants and compare yourself. Otherwise you will always have to rely on what others say and might or might not be true/comparable to your situation.

i was was watching Warren Haynes live. They were using RE20s on individual horns, they sounded fantastic.

In my experience the RE20's work for pretty much all horns except tuba. But let's face it, tuba is pretty rare but way cool in a section!

I just love 421's on toms so that's why I use them on horns... I've already got several in the mic locker.

It's a quest, for sure. :) Thanks for all the advice.

No time to test at the shop, so I gotta decide based on advice/reviews/specs.

Now gravitating towards SDC and in particular: the Oktava MK 012-01 (cardoid), plus shockmount.

Last edited:
Confusing naming ...

I believe the original NT1 was Chinese-made, the NT1A is Australian, and now there's a new NT1 again ...

The new NT1 is Australian-made and top notch build quality, definitively feels substantial.

It's a quest, for sure. :) Thanks for all the advice.

No time to test at the shop, so I gotta base it on advice/reviews/specs.

Now gravitating towards SDC and in particular: the Oktava MK 012-01 (Cardoid), plus shockmount.

I've been to a session once where he Oktava's were used - they are great bang for the buck IMHO

I think you're on the right track with a SDC. Looking at SDCs the Josephson C-42 is amazing. I have a stereo pair. Killer on acoustics, as room mics and much more. Gearslutz folks pick them over the Neuman KM84s and 184s. Pricier than the Rode, but a mic you'd use for many tasks and never want to trade up from.
Josephson C42 | ZenPro Audio

Back
Top Bottom