MFC101 or MC6

Billbill

Power User
What should I get? The FAS MFC101
or the MC6. I know it's about what my needs are but honestly, I don't know what I'm missing with either device because I am new to this MIDI guff haha. I'm thinking about the MFC101 because I'd hate to get something else then realize that I can't do this or that with it. I guess all I really need is preset/scene changes on the fly, tuner display, and a few IA's.
Second, I've read that the 101 can only access the first 100 or so presets. Problem is that all my custom patches start at slot 400. So can the MFC101 be programmed to start at slot 400? My thought process is to avoid having to rearrange any factory presets (I like to play with them sometimes) and any factory ones I like I'll copy to new preset number after 400 so I can grab them via MFC101. Thoughts??

Midi program change ranges from 0-127.
Anything after 127 is not accessible as far as I know.
If someone knows a way to access past that I would love to know.
I copy all my song presets to the first 127 slots.
Not a big deal since you can back up any state of your Axe and even access individual ones from the backup in Axe edit.
I can't speak for the MFC but the MC6 is awesome.
Will do everything you want. Even tuner but that won't be as good as what is on the unit.

The MFC can access the first 384 presets on the Axe Fx. If you want to go beyond that on the MFC, you'll need to do some re-mapping of presets which I would advise against. The simplest solution is to just move your factory presets into a range that won't overlap your user presets. I would keep your user presets in bank 1, personally.

If you're not sure what you need I'd recommend the MFC-101 -- it's easy to use, integrates perfectly and supports a high number of external controller options. The MC-6 is, IMHO, more of a power user tool -- when you know exactly what you need and can live with only 6 switches.

If you're not sure what you need I'd recommend the MFC-101 -- it's easy to use, integrates perfectly and supports a high number of external controller options. The MC-6 is, IMHO, more of a power user tool -- when you know exactly what you need and can live with only 6 switches.
The MC has 6 switches but in each bank you have access to 12 switches (dual purpose switches).

The MC has 6 switches but in each bank you have access to 12 switches (dual purpose switches).
Which only proves my point: multiplexing on 6 switches only elevates the complexity (press-and-hold, double tap, etc.). Swiss army knife for those who know what they're doing.

My opinion as well...

If you are new to midi and you don't really know what you want to do with it, then the MFC-101 will be the easiest to implement and covers all the needs of working with the Axe Fx.

Right on! So if the MFC only accesses the first 300+ presets how do you guys organize your user presets just move the first bank of factory presets to a new bank? Is this done in bulk or do u have to move them one at a time in axe edit then clear the original slot? Also can MFC edit and axe edit run at the same time? Sorry for all the damn questions

Right on! So if the MFC only accesses the first 300+ presets how do you guys organize your user presets just move the first bank of factory presets to a new bank? Is this done in bulk or do u have to move them one at a time in axe edit then clear the original slot? Also can MFC edit and axe edit run at the same time? Sorry for all the damn questions
Well, I only use one preset live so I just have that in Bank A :D

But yea, Bank A is all my presets (and mostly empty). Banks B-F are either @austinbuddy's presets or factory presets I find useful. I mostly toss the factory stuff though because I can get them back whenever I want by just flipping through the factor bank files on disk.

Which only proves my point: multiplexing on 6 switches only elevates the complexity (press-and-hold, double tap, etc.). Swiss army knife for those who know what they're doing.
For sure MC is not plug and play, it comes empty from the factory.
Another consideration is the big price difference.
For me personally I will use it with my Roland controller so as an add-on it's great.

Use Fractal-Bot to backup your banks. Then you can import whole banks to any bank you wish. I use Axe-Edit to export and import individual presets.

MFC-Edit will run at the same time as Axe-Edit, but MFC-Edit is NOT a live editor. You have to backup your MFC-101 settings as a sysex file using MFC-Edit (or Fractal-Bot). Then load that file in MFC-edit and make any changes needed. Then send that file back to the MFC-101.

Use Fractal-Bot to backup your banks. Then you can import whole banks to any bank you wish. I use Axe-Edit to export and import individual presets.

MFC-Edit will run at the same time as Axe-Edit, but MFC-Edit is NOT a live editor. You have to backup your MFC-101 settings as a sysex file using MFC-Edit (or Fractal-Bot). Then load that file in MFC-edit and make any changes needed. Then send that file back to the MFC-101.
So meaning it's not a live editor once I set it up, I'd save a BU of it then if I want to change something I'd load the BU file in the editor, tweak, save and send back to MFC, save the new file on computer?

So meaning it's not a live editor once I set it up, I'd save a BU of it then if I want to change something I'd load the BU file in the editor, tweak, save and send back to MFC, save the new file on computer?
Yes

Anyone manage to try this with the MC6?
Can't get it to work.
I want to access presets beyond #127.
Looks like you need to send a CC#'0' with a specific value along with the PC # to access the other banks.

CC #'0' - value of '0' = Bank 'A'...PC # '0' = Preset # '000'
CC #'0' - value of '1' = Bank 'B'...PC # '0' = Preset # '128'
CC #'0' - value of '2' = Bank 'C'...PC # '0' = Preset # '256'.....etc....

I just avoid this by putting all presets that I need access to with my feet, in the first bank..

Looks like you need to send a CC#'0' with a specific value along with the PC # to access the other banks.

CC #'0' - value of '0' = Bank 'A'...PC # '0' = Preset # '000'
CC #'0' - value of '1' = Bank 'B'...PC # '0' = Preset # '128'
CC #'0' - value of '2' = Bank 'C'...PC # '0' = Preset # '256'.....etc....

I just avoid this by putting all presets that I need access to with my feet, in the first bank..
Normally I did the same thing.
Now I have two band setups and would like to have all accessible at the same time.
I could do the backup and restore thing but now that I found out I can access those other banks, I would like to try.

Tried the above and not working for me.

In the M6:
M1:
PC Msg - 5:0 0:0
M2
CC Msg - 0:1 0:0
Tried inverting M1 and M2 but no diff.

For some reason this brings me to patch 001.
No mapping on the Axe.
I would be curious if works for others or if I'm missing something.

Are M1 and M2 on the same midi channel as the Axe-Fx?

M1:
PC Msg - 5:0
"0:0" (what do these numbers represent?)
M2
CC Msg - 0:1
"0:0" (could this be conflicting with the other?)

Back
Top Bottom