MFC Will Not Change Presets

HughJasol

Inspired
I've noticed that every now and then (usually happens at least once per gig/rehearsal) when I press a switch on the MFC to change presets within the same bank, nothing happens - it won't change. I found the solution to be to first press the switch of the currently selected preset, and THEN I can change presets without issue. This doesn't happen only after selecting other switches within that preset ... yes, most times when this happens I've probably activated (and maybe deactivated too) my DELAY, DRIVE or IA assigned as a global boost at some point, but other times the preset was never modified and is exactly as it was when switching to it initially.

I'm running FW 2.11 (haven't upgraded to 2.13 yet), but I first noticed this issue I think a couple of FW revs ago (maybe at 2.01?).

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the Global Boost setup has anything to do with it? I notice that even when changing presets on the Axe-II using the front dial, the "Edited" LED always illuminates, which makes sense because of the way the global boost is setup, which upon changing presets simply just lowers the volume to the pre-boost level.

Last night my MFC wouldn't change to the next set of 5 presets with the 'incr' , 'decr' buttons. I would hit it and it would just re load the current patch. I'm on 2.13

Last night my MFC wouldn't change to the next set of 5 presets with the 'incr' , 'decr' buttons. I would hit it and it would just re load the current patch. I'm on 2.13

I haven't experienced that yet - just the other preset buttons within the active bank not responding . . .

Funeral gave me a suggestion which I haven't tried yet. Resetting the bank size which I am guessing was reset with a firmware update or something.

Updating to the latest adds the bank limit option (Edit->Setup->page right a bunch of times) but defaults it to zero. Go to that setting on the MFC and click down once to change it to 77 (all banks available) or whatever you want.

TT

Could also be that one of your switches are stuck. If 1 is stuck no other will work.
They do have a selfcleaning mechanism, so pressing every switch rapidly 20 - 30 times once in a while is a good idea.

having same issue sometimes. hitting the switch that is stuck again solves my problem .. not funny though. will try the idea you posted on selfcleaning Ole

If it is dirt in the switch pressing it a lot of times MIGHT help. But I had a switch changed(It turned out that G66 gave me a new board entirely- See another thread about the GREAT service from G66)

Greetings
AAEN

Maybe it's a dirty switch for others, but not for me.

Example:

If I'm currently on Patch #3, and I try to switch to Patch #1, or #2, or #4, or #5; nothing happens - The LED on the newly selected switch flashes when depressed, but then the LED reverts back to the switch for Patch #3 and I stay on Patch #3. I can keep trying to change patches, but the only way I can select another patch to get off of Patch #3 is to first press the Patch #3 switch . . . as soon as I do that I can then select any of the 4 other patches in that bank without issue. So it's not a dirty switch.

Sounds like a bug?

No thats exactly what i mean by a switch getting stuck. If sw3 is stuck no ther will work untill you press sw3 again.
It might not be the case, (maybe sw3 is broken) but in your case it really sounds like sw3 needs cleaning.
But was just an idea since i have seen this exact behaviour from an MFC with a "dirty" switch.
Have you tried a reset?

This solution worked for me after updating to 2.13 and up/down not working.

Me too but resetting the MFC blows. First of all I had to go back in and reset everything the way I had it. Now I have an issue where I can't select which of the 3 banks on the Axe to load (A,B or C). There used to be a MIDI menu item for this. It it has vanished.

Me too but resetting the MFC blows. First of all I had to go back in and reset everything the way I had it. Now I have an issue where I can't select which of the 3 banks on the Axe to load (A,B or C). There used to be a MIDI menu item for this. It it has vanished.

Ive gotten quite proficient at reprogramming my FAS products.
Good to be able to pull off in a pinch.

No thats exactly what i mean by a switch getting stuck. If sw3 is stuck no ther will work untill you press sw3 again.
It might not be the case, (maybe sw3 is broken) but in your case it really sounds like sw3 needs cleaning.
But was just an idea since i have seen this exact behaviour from an MFC with a "dirty" switch.
Have you tried a reset?

I see what you're saying now, and that makes sense if this behavior happens only on the one dirty switch. But I was pretty sure I had experienced this on more than just SW3. However, I'm starting to wonder if that's really the case and I'm now not so sure I'm seeing this behavior on other switches besides SW3. I'll have to keep an eye on this and make note if I see this behavior on another switch.

I haven't done a reset; however now that I have some down time in between gigs I think I'll upgrade from 2.11 to 2.13 and do a reset.

After a couple of weeks, I notice that it is indeed only Switch #3 that exhibits this behavior. What's the best way to clean the switch? Same thing I use to clean pots (DeOxit)? Should I take it apart, or can I spray it in from the top?

No one knows how to clean a switch (without voiding the warranty)? BTW the "self-cleaning" method did nothing to improve the problem . . .

I had this happen after 2.13 update. I could not change the bank inc or decr. I went in an changed my Preset size to 10 (was at 15) and works correctly. I've never had this happen before, and not since I change my bank size. Weird.

Hit this oddity tonight after upgrading MFC to 2.13, AxeFX II on FW 8.

MFC was in set mode and it would get stuck on the first patch and last patch of the set once you switched to them, all switches would become non responsive requiring me to pull the cat5. I don't have the MFC in front of me to try to reproduce again at the moment but I flipped the setting to allow the set list to wrap and it seemed to resolve the issue.

No one knows how to clean a switch (without voiding the warranty)? BTW the "self-cleaning" method did nothing to improve the problem . . .

Anyone? . . . Anyone? . . . Bueller? . . . Bueller? . . . Bueller? :D

Do I have to send it back for repair? That would suck because I don't think I can part with it for that long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom