MFC Sends CC#0 on MIDI Channel 2 with preset change?

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
I have my MFC to my Axe II via Ethernet. Then Axe MIDI Thru ON, connected to my x32 Rack mixer.

On the x32, I can set a few things for it to listen or not listen to. I have everything off except for "Channel Mute" functions, which should only be affected by CC#0-79 on MIDI channel 2.

Axe and MFC communicate on MIDI Channel 1. I've set CC#40 on MIDI Channel 2 on an IA for turning on/off my Reverb on the x32. Works great.

When I change Presets using the MFC, my Input Channel 1 on the x32 turns its Mute off - that means it's receiving CC#0 @ 000 (mute off) on MIDI Channel 2. I confirmed it's the MFC only by both unplugging the MFC and changing presets on the Axe itself (no change on the x32) as well as turning on/off TotalSync on the MFC; when TotalSync is ON and I change the preset from the Axe, my x32 channel is unmuted, TotalSync off and preset change from the Axe, no change on the x32 - that means it's only the MFC as it is polled and sends/receives everything to keep things in Total Syncronization™ with TotalSync ;)

I hooked up a MIDI monitor to the Axe Thru and don't see any CC#0 on MIDI Channel 2 being sent out. However, a Program Change is sent out on all 16 MIDI channels, as well as a bunch of SysEx data (Send Realtime SysEx is currently off for my testing).

So basically, going through all menus and IAs on the MFC, nothing is set to MIDI Channel 2 at all, but it's sending out CC#0 on Channel 2 when I change presets? No other channels on the x32 get muted or affected at all.

Any thoughts? I'll update this if I discover or have forgotten anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bakerman figured it out. i had to go into the Preset menu on the MFC and turn off the PC send for Channel 2 for any preset i want to use - a bit of a pain.

i've never even looked into that Preset menu before!

This is the factory default setting.
Here's the FASTEST way to disable all PCs on all channels:

0. Optionally reset the MFC-101 to FACTORY settings if you also want to do the step I note in "PS"
1. Temporarily set BANK SIZE to 17
2. Turn off all PCs in preset 1.
3. Edit: COPY PRESET 1 to preset locations 2 through 17.
4. Edit COPY BANK 1 to bank locations 2 through the end (22 I think).

In less than 3 minutes, the whole job is done.

PS: Make a BACKUP of the initialized MFC with all PCs off, so you can avoid ever needing to do this again, no matter what setup you require in the future.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. When you say "Turn off all PCs in preset" do you mean what's on page 44, Section 12.1.2 Preset Program Changes, EDIT : PRESET : PAGE > (2x), in the MFC manual?

Glad i stumbled upon this. Been trying to stop my amp from changing channels every time i change a preset (its an AXE->4CM rig with midi channel switching). For the life of me every preset would seem to randomly change my amp channels. PRESET Menu / turn OFF PC's on CH2 and all fixed! Amp set to receive messages on CH2. I did not need to clear out the other channels on that page, it would be a very tedious process. Is there a WAY-Fast Scroll on the MFC, faster than holding down the button?

Another way to easily accomplish this is with the MFC-Edit program. It'll take a few seconds to do if you follow these steps:
  1. Load your sysex dump into MFC-Edit and go to the PRESETS page
  2. Click the Edit menu at the top
  3. Select "Clear all except user-modified PCs - ALL Presets"
Done. Transmit the dump back to your MFC-101. Screenshot below.
-G
PRESETS Power Menu.jpg

Would this not clear all the Axe-Fx channel presets?

I am trying to ONLY switch snippets on my X32. This requires that I send a value of 0 to 100 on channel 2. If any program changes go out on channel 1, 3,4,5 or 6 then it will switch scenes etc. on the desk. As far as I can see I will have to change the midi channel of the Axe to 7 (or something) then clear all the PC messages on the MFC and manually re-enter the required PC on channel 2 (for the snippets on the X32) and channel 7 (for the Axe patch changes) for each song.
Am I missing some other method (other than an outboard midi filter)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom