MFC / Scene problems when receiving Midi Sync

AxeFX II 9.02 / MFC I 1.15 connected with Ethercon Cat 5 (converter box on the MFC).

I run a heavily tracked show. I recently switched from Sonar X2 to Ableton Live 9 for live playback of the tracks.

Ableton feeds patch changes and Midi Sync for delays to the Axe FX. I automate most patch changes and some filter automation in the various songs.

When using Sonar I was able to pick which songs would send Midi Sync. There are only a quarter of the songs that need it. That is not an option in Ableton - it is all or none.

We did 2 tracked songs that did the patch changing for me. I then switched to a non tracked song. No midi sync was being sent (but it was for the 2 tracks prior). When I went to scene mode, I was able to select the scenes as expected.

When I tried to switch out of Reveal Mode, the MFC went into an unknown state. It would not respond to anything. It was not frozen, just no longer responded to patch or band changes. I had to unplug/plug the MFC just to get it working again.

When I run it without Midi Sync before selecting scenes it works as expected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
John

Last edited:
What do you mean switch out of scene mode? The axe is always in scene mode. Did you mean Reveal mode on the MFC?

Do you have total sync on in the MFC setup menu?

I wonder if the MFC even receives midi from your computer or if the axe filters it out. Is USB adaptor mode on in the I/O menu on the axe?

No USB adapter involved here - midi is via the physical MIDI port.

Total sync is set to On on the MFC. Actually, I reset the MFC to factory defaults and it happened 2 times during the show.

I will recreate it again and see if I can do anything from the front panel of the AxeFX. It was not in a convenient area during the shows this weekend when it happened. When it did happen, resetting the MFC seemed to take care of it until I jumped back into reveal mode.

I am guessing it could be the AxeFX actually having problems and manifesting itself in the MFC display.

John

Back
Top Bottom